Saturday, September 1, 2007

in-patient hospice unit

just a short update. russ vomited again last night about 4am. brown. janine came this am, still no bowel movement. abdomen is still very distended although he has bowel sounds. his diastolic blood pressure is up. she suggested i take him into the in-patient unit to get an x-ray of his abdomen to see if it's just constipation, bowel obstruction or something else.

the hospice MD came to see him. he will order some blood work, urine specimen and x-ray. he suggested broad spectrum antibiotics to cover infections but i declined at this point. russ is running no fever and does not seem to be in pain. he is on oxygen as his respirations continue to be very rapid and shallow. a VERY hard decision for me but i know it is right at this point.

i shed many tears on the drive over but i continue to pray to God for strength for me and peace for russ. i will update when i can.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying for you both Nancy.

Lori1955 said...

I'm shedding tears for you too sweetie. I am at least glad that Russ isn't in pain but am anxious to hear the test results. Hope you know something today.

arutherford said...

Nancy,
May God hold you close and give you the strength and wisdom you need. Rest in His arms, my friend, and rely on Him to be by your side.

The rest of us will be constantly lifting you and Russ up in prayer. Think of it as a parachute. Lori, Flinty, Zebes, Skygirl, Karenlee, Snick, Cinmin, Deborah, Johanna, me, and oh so many others are holding that parachute for you to safely land.

nancy said...

thank you all for your kind words of support. no results yet....

~Betsy said...

I have a hand on that parachute too, Nancy. Please know how much I care. You did the right thing taking him to the unit and I can imagine how hard it was to decline the antibiotics - but I also feel it was the right thing. I would do the same, at least at this point.

Please keep us posted. If you need someone to talk to, I will be available all evening. Email me and I will send you my cell number. bobrienharrison@hotmail.com

Hang in there.

mooch said...

Nance -

I recently found my way to your blog. You are amazing. Our prayers are with Russ and all of you.

rilera said...

Add me to the prayer chain too. You and Russ are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lori1955 said...

I know it's late on your side of the world but please let us know as soon as you can. We are all very worried. I hope you are getting some sleep tonight.

nancy said...

the x-rays finally came back. it is a partial ileus(partial bowel obstruction). they (me too) just finished giving russ a fleets enema with some results. he has been sleeping most of the past 36 hours. he seems in no pain so i am thankful for that. will wait and see how he is in the am. i'm praying it will resolve on its own. the alternative is not good. thanks for all the continued prayers. you guys are the best.

nancy said...

p.s. they are also wondering if he might have had another brain bleed......

Lori1955 said...

Oh Nancy I am so sorry. It seems the only good news is that he is not in pain. Please let us know in the morning how he is.

nancy said...

good morning, russ had a very peaceful, restful night. will wait to see what the MD says and post later.

Unknown said...

Still praying for you and Russ, Nancy.