Sunday, September 23, 2007

happy times


yesterday russ' great niece was married. originally i was to go with my boys and bob would stay home with russ. as russ was declining bob was going to go with the boys and i would stay home with russ. as it turned out we were all able to see the wedding. me with bob and the boys and russ with my mom in heaven. lindsey and russ always had a kidding relationship. when lindsey was really young, russ used to tell her that he could fly. she bought it hook, line and sinker. when she asked him to fly, he would always tell her that his wing was hurt or broken, and maybe he would show her later.

yesterday i told lindsey that not only did uncle russ see her get married but he was able to fly around, that both his mind and wings were healed. we both smiled and hugged.

it was good to see russ' family yesterday. as flinty has posted, most were worried about me and how i was doing. i was and am doing fine. probably the biggest thing was i kept looking at my watch, as if it was time to go home, as if joann would be off duty soon and i needed to get back. i think that will continue to be the biggest adjustment, learning that i don't have to rush home, that i can again have a life of my own, whatever that may be.

for those of you interested here is the site for russ' obituary online.
http://www.huehnsfuneralhome.com/index.cfm

17 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Nancy I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day. I know what you mean about looking at your watch. I do the same thing.

StefanieRose said...

You know your an amazing person and friend when your father dies and you end up consoling a friend. I don't know how you do it but you truly are a hero to me. Thank you.

StefanieRose said...

Also: Nancy the Obituary was beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Also thank you for the donations to the Association. It means so much.

~Betsy said...

You did a wonderful job with Russ' obituary.

I'm so glad you all got to attend the wedding. I hope you danced the night away!

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Beautiful obit.

I know Galesburg well. We go to the Knox County Scenic Drive and enjoy it so much. We are going again this year and I will think of Russ as I admire the autumn colors.

I live in Princeton, IL. Do you know where that is?

nancy said...

chris, i know the area where princeton is. i went to school in bloomington, to illinois wesleyan. seems to me there were people from that area, i just can't recall who at the moment.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Yes Nancy, my daughter is in WI. She moved there afte she garduated in may and she majored in Photojournalism. She hasn't found a job in that feild yet but she does have a great job waitressing at a pub on the capital square.

I loved Madison and could handle living there. The trees are just beginning to turn and it is starting to look so pretty there already.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Please excuse the spelling. My fingers are still waking up!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, how in the world did I mis this blog?? It is lovely!!!

Nancy said...

Shirl,
thanks so much for your comments.

Unknown said...

Lovely obituary Nancy.

The watch thing is something I understand. It is my cell phone more for me though. I am so used to having the thing with me in case an aide calls me. I am having a hard time breaking myself of checking it.

I also have noticed some trouble in making small talk at gatherings. I guess I'll get the hang of it eventually.

rilera said...

Thank you for including the link to Russ's Obit. I feel like I knew him through your postings; it was nice to see it.

With ALZ, as with any terminal illness, the grieving starts with the diagnosis and continues through the illness. I know that was true with my dad's cancer. By the end, I was devastated by his loss but also relieved that he was no longer in pain.

StefanieRose said...

I am thinking of you again. Just so you know. *hugs*

~Betsy said...

I hope you can get some sleep, Nancy. I'm sure your plate is full with all the preparations, but you deserve a rest friend. {{{{{gentle hugs}}}}}

rilera said...

Nancy, My dad used to have to travel a lot to Sturgeon Bay to the Bay Shipbuilding for his job. Mom would go with him after he retired and would no longer fly.

nancy said...

robyn,
it's a small world how some of us have had our lives or lives of our loved one's cross at some point. thanks for sharing that with me.

rilera said...

Nancy I truly believe all of us have been brought together for a reason we may never know. My parents loved the Sturgeon Bay/Door County area. I will be thinking of you and Russ during his memorial. Take care of yourself.