Thursday, September 20, 2007

the end is near



how a day can change in a course of a minute. russ slept on and off most of the afternoon. i sat by him and i talked lots to him, reminiscing, and thanking him for such great memories.

at 5:30pm joann arrived and we went to reposition him. immediately he turned dusky blue and his respirations went up to 60/min. i immediately called janine and she had me give him some ativan until she could order and have some morphine delivered. she had ordered all that in the morning but it will not be here until around noon on thursday.

to make a long story short, russ is now on continuous care and has been getting either the ativan and or morphine as often as ordered. this means he is getting something at least once every hour to try to relieve this. it is unclear what is going on but janine and i suspect something went wrong with his circulatory system. his extremities are cold and blue and his legs are mottled.

his respirations have been between 48-60, temp over 104, pulse between 108-160 and has no blood pressure for 11 hours. in 1/2 hour this will have gone on for 12 hours! i don't know how much more his body can take.

janine came over after our phone call and stayed until lynne arrived from the in patient unit to bridge the gap until the continuous care nurse arrived. our pastor was here from 10-2 and decided to go get some rest. he will return in the am. what a blessing it was to have him here. i pray for this to end soon. please God, end this for russ' sake, he has suffered enough.

11 comments:

~Betsy said...

I'm so sorry, Nancy. I also pray the Lord will take Russ home soon. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers for your continued strength and peace for Russ.

rilera said...

Hugs and prayers for you and Russ, that his suffering will end soon.

Unknown said...

That is such a sudden change. I would have been really upset so I am glad you were able to get some fast help. I'm not that optimistic about how fast mine will be.

I am praying for you.

Patricia said...

Holding you and Russ in my prayers dear Nancy.

mooch said...

nance -

God bless all of you

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Nancy, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers now and in the days ahead. Please take care.

Lori1955 said...

Oh Nancy, I was so worried all day yesterday. The candle I had for Russ went out and I could not get it re lit so I lit the one I had had for Helen to replace it. That one only stayed lit for an hour. I just knew something was very wrong. I am so sorry sweetie. Helen will help him on the way.

arutherford said...

Nancy,
I will be in constant prayer. I am so glad you have such wonderful support. Your pastor is an angel to be there with you so much.

May God give Russ peace as he passes into His kingdom. You are a wonderful daughter and caretaker. Your Daddy taught you well how to love with your whole heart and soul.
Love, Ann

SKYGIRL said...

Dear Nancy. This has been a heart-breaking week, but you know best, and if you want your Daddy to make that journey to Heaven,I will pray for that with you.

You have been a 'rock' for him. I know you haven't felt like it 100% of the time, but have been.

I could only hope to stay as sweet & strong as you have through this painful time.

You did get your wish, Russ is home, and it sounds like in the nick of time.

Warm {{{HUGS}}}} & {{{PRAYERS}}}

StefanieRose said...

My thoughts are with you my friend. Be strong and you know your not alone. We are all here for each other. Remember you are loved so deeply.

rainbowheart said...

Nancy,
Gentle hugs to you. You and your family are in my prayers. Russ is now in Heaven and no longer in pain.
Gale