Thursday, September 20, 2007

russ is at peace and with God



at about 5pm today russ left all his pain and suffering behind and was healed. he joined my mom in heaven. what a joyous occasion that must have been.

russ continued to struggle for almost 24 hours with his breathing and very rapid heart rate. it wasn't until 4pm that his respirations were below 40. then they began to drop slowly but steadily. as it was approaching 5pm, his face became very blue, not just his lips. his breathing was peaceful and non-labored. my sister, brother-in-law, niece, bob and i were sitting around russ. sue and i each held one of russ' hands. we witnessed as he took his last few breaths, each slower than the previous. then he stopped.

it was a peaceful death, a painless death. he was able to die at home with family present. and now he is free of this dreaded disease we call alzheimer's. i am at peace with this. sure i cried and will shed more tears, but shortly afterwards i looked towards heaven and said, "thank you God".

i will miss russ terribly but i have been missing the russ i knew for quite a while. i am thankful he is at peace now and rejoined with my mom. i am also glad he has met lori's helen.

12 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I will keep you close in my heart until we one day meet. I am glad that we were able to walk together through this these last couple weeks.

Patricia said...

Dear Nancy,
I feel as though I have lost someone I love too, you and your dear Dad (Russ) have been in my heart for a long time now.

My sincerest sympathies to your family my dear.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Nancy, my heart and sympathies go out to you and your family right now and always.
You are an awesome lady and a loving spirit.I'm happy you were able to take Russ home to finish his journey, in peace.....

~Betsy said...

I am truly so sorry for your loss, Nancy. I know Russ hasn't been Russ for a long time, but there will still be major adjustments over the next several weeks.

I think you are an awesome daughter. You cared for and advocated for your daddy until the very end. He is smiling again and with your mom. They are both whole and healthy.

Now it's time for you - time to rest and readjust. I hope you know I am here for you still. Any time, day or night.

StefanieRose said...

Oh Nancy. I wish I could give you a hug so strong and tight right now. You have been such a wonderful daughter and a wonderful friend to me. You are loved, always.

Unk said...

God Bless

Jamielee said...

Oh Nancy, my heart and tears go out to you and Suz and everyone. I'm so sorry that he has died, but glad that his journey ended peacefully, and that he is reunited with Gene and healthy again. Love and prayers coming your way.

Lori,
Sending love and comfort your way as well. I'm so sorry for your loss, and take comfort in the fact that Helen was there with Gene to meet Russ and welcome him home. They may never have met in life, but they are sure to be close in heaven, watching over all of their loved ones together.

rilera said...

Nancy, I'm glad Russ's pain has been eased and that he is with God. I know you will miss him so much. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Bless you for all that you did for your father. He is smiling down on you, with your Mom, in gratitude and love.

Lori1955 said...

Just wanted to add that I love Unk.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this Nancy. I am sorry for your loss but I am glad he was spared any more time with Alzheimer's.

Blessings.

SKYGIRL said...

Nancy, check the board about your urgent question. I have just one more bone to pick, and if it were not that I had already picked my favoritee one...APS...or the lack there of...it would be....Why on God's-Green-Earth are the very People that are greiving the most, are the very saame ones, that are 'supppose' to pull all of this together?

I have a 'hunch' that very primative peoples have already figured this out. The Loved Ones...grieve, the rest of the Communtiy, do EVERYTHING else?

I'll have to study up on this one.

{{HUGS}}} At least it appears our gracious God, puts us in a kind of fog, or shock, to make it through this part, and for that, I am grateful.

OOXXOO N.Mc.

Joanne said...

My sympathies, Nancy. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.