Wednesday, September 19, 2007

welcome back janine!


i am feeling much better about things. janine was here almost 2 hours this morning and i think we're at least on the right track.

russ slept soundly until about 5:30am when he started sounding very congested again. by the time janine arrived he had not been able to cough at all to clear it. she applied a third scopolomine patch to help decrease the secretions. it will take about 8 hours to kick in so in the mean time we will give russ atropine 2 drops every 2 hours to also help decrease the secretions causing the throat and pulmonary congestion. what is already there he will have to cough up or evaporate.

we also talked about what i may or may not see and what possibly to expect. even though she is very honest about it she explains things in such a soft and caring way that makes it easier to hear. i had been telling bob i wanted him present because lately even though i'm a RN, when it hits so personally, 2 sets of ears are better than one. bob continues to be my rock and sounding board.

janine then had suggestions about positioning him and putting pillows under the mattress at the foot of the bed to elevate it and take pressure off the knees and feet. it made sense yet i'm not sure i would have thought of it.

victoria, russ' aide arrived before lunch and stated she already had russ on for the 5days/week now. amazing how a simple phone call can help. i helped her bathe and shampoo and shave russ. he really looks and smells good now. he was able to cough hard a few times so i think he cleared some of the congestion out. he has been dozing all morning but looks very comfortable. now that he is all cleaned up, he looks as if nothing is wrong with him, so peaceful. i pray that as his final journey comes to an end we can keep him that way. with janine, victoria, joann (his home health aide that helps me late afternoons or evenings) and most of all God, i'm beginning to have a good feeling that we can.

7 comments:

~Betsy said...

I'm so glad Bob is there for you. He sounds like a real gem.

I am also glad to hear Janine is back and it sounds as if you have a good team. That is so important - RN or not, this gets personal.

I'm praying for you. Hang in there.

arutherford said...

Nancy,
It sounds like all the necessary team members are in place. That's a good feeling and will help you so much in the days ahead.

I continue to pray for you and your family as you go through this sacred time. You have been an incredible advocate and caregiver for your Dad. He is so very proud of you!

In His Love,
Ann

SKYGIRL said...

Oh yeah! Janine is home! I can hear the excitment in your voice, and know the feeling EXACTLY!

It does sound like you have an awesome team, and I am sure you are so happy to have him all sqeeky clean, and comfortable, in his own bed.

Thank God! N.Mc.

Lori1955 said...

I'm so glad that Russ seems to be resting comfortably. I'm also glad that Janine is back. I certainly know what a comfort a good hospice nurse can be. Mine is still calling me every day as is the aide. My aide's husband is even going to come and do my back yard. Talk about angels!!!!!!

I hope you are getting some rest if that is possible. I know that Helen's last week I don't think I got more than 2 or 3 hours a night.

rainbowheart said...

Nancy,
I'm so glad to hear the you have a support team there for you. I am so thankful for the nursing staff that comes in with Mama during the week. It is nice to know that while they are there I can get somethings done outside the home. You, your family and Russ are in my thougths and prayers. Oh my ride home today I was wondering how Russ is doing...please keep us posted. Thanks
Gale

~Betsy said...

Hi Nancy,

I'm just looking in on you and Russ. Take care friend.

rilera said...

Thinking of you and Russ and keeping you in my prayers.