Monday, September 17, 2007

home sweet home



the ambulance arrived at the hospice unit promptly at 10am. for whatever reason they were in a big hurry to get out of there as i could tell they were getting impatient with me as i was saying goodbye to the staff. it was an emotional time for me. as much as i wanted russ to come home they have been so wonderful not only to russ but to me and my family as well. they are truly God's angels on earth. thank you all!!

the ride home went ok but i could tell russ was somewhat stressed out. he kinda had that panicked look during parts of the ride. it was of course bumpy but it didn't matter. i swear the ambulance driver was going over 80mph part of the time. i thought to myself, what's the rush, russ is going home to die, this isn't a life and death situation, at least not yet! i was so glad to be there with him. we squeezed each others hands the whole way home.

russ has slept basically the whole time since he's been home. i even fell asleep for about 20 minutes in the recliner next to him earlier. once again though he seems comfortable and peaceful. i feel so blessed for that and pray it continues for him. he is now wearing a fentanyl pain patch to hopefully keep any pain he might experience in check.

my sister and brother-in-law came over for dinner. my good high school friend had dinner delivered tonight - it was a real treat and so thoughtful. it's amazing what you can order from out of state. thanks again mooch!

as much as i miss the staff i am SO happy and relieved to have russ at home. i feel at peace, this is where he belongs. i didn't get my tuck-in visit or call from vitas but that's just as well. i can always call them if something comes up. janine should be back in town tomorrow so i anticipate she will call.

on a sad note, my dear friend lori, lost her friend helen today from alzheimer's. my heart is very heavy tonight for lori, yet glad to know helen is out of pain. she died a few hours after russ came home. my prayers are for lori tonight.

11 comments:

rilera said...

Nancy, I am so glad that Russ is home. You both are in my prayers. I know this will be beyond difficult but know that I am thinking of you.

Robyn

SKYGIRL said...

Nancy, today was such a tug-of-war on my heart. My girlfriend's Daughter gave birth to a brand new baby boy...or is in the process stiil.

I knew you were bringing Russ home, which is a happy event too, but I can not be happy about the loss of Helen, even though she is out of pain, now our dearest friend Lori's really begins.

I am so thankful that Russ is comfortable, for the most part, and has any pain under control. He obviously still recognises you too, which is such a blessing.

I have dedicated my "Blog" to Lori tonight. ;-(

Lori1955 said...

Nancy, I am so glad that Russ is home. Shortly before Helen died I told her that Russ was home now and that she needed to go so she could help lead Russ when his time comes. She will be there when the time is right. I will continue to keep Russ's candle burning.

~Betsy said...

I'm so relieved Russ is back home where he belongs and you can relax, even if just a little. I know how you worried when you weren't right by his side 24/7 in the unit - despite the wonderful care he received.

My heart is broken for Lori tonight. Yes, I am glad Helen doesn't have any pain anymore, but frankly the whole thing stinks.

I hope your final journey with Russ will be peaceful and you find time to hold hands and mouth the words "I love you" as often as possible.

You will continue to be in my prayers, friend. And Russ' candle is burning brightly.

arutherford said...

Nancy,
I am so very thankful the journey home went smoothly, except for those bumps on the road. Get some rest tonight.

God will continue to be by your side, guiding and directing you; giving you comfort and strength; and loving you and Russ through this final journey.

I will keep praying.

nurse said...

Hi Russ, My name is Glenda, it is nice to meet you my friend. I am glad that you are home with your family. Make sure that Nancy and Sue kiss you QID and prn for me.
Sweet Dreams, Love, Glenda

Hi Russ, Nancy, and Sue,
I keep wandering by room 3010 and can't help but feel that something/someone is missing. I am so glad that you are home where you belong. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love and Kisses, Juliann



GO CUBBIES!!!!!

StefanieRose said...

I am so glad he is home. I will keep you in my thoughts tonight and for the next few weeks as you take this final journey. I would like to met you on the moon as well Nancy. Your friendship has meant so much to me. Don't forget it.

Doris Schoneman said...

Nancy, my thoughts are with you. Your special relationship with your father is evident from your comments and actions.

I too hope this will be a peaceful and not prolonged death.

Please let me know if I can do anything.

Doris

Patricia said...

Dear Nancy,
My thoughts and prayers remain with you and your dear Dad Russ. Make special memories my dear from the time you have left with him, he is a very special gentleman. God Bless you both.

Unknown said...

Nancy,
Hope all is going well today for you and Russ.

Lori1955 said...

I get worried when you don't post.