Saturday, September 8, 2007

status quo

no real change in russ today. he was up for about 2 hours at lunch time and again for about an hour at dinnertime. his appetite wasn't as good today, basically only wanting to eat sweets. he also seemed more withdrawn, just wanting to sleep or keep his eyes closed when up. he has had no further results since his BM on thursday. the doctor today said he has normal bowel sounds but also tinkling bowel sounds indicating that the ileus is still present. i'm not really worried yet, but i wonder if the AD can cause one's mind to shut down so to speak, so that they forget how to push and have a bowel movement? russ has been on a daily stool softener and laxative since wednesday and so far only able to have results with an enema.

6 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Well I'm glad that you aren't worried yet because I am. Is there anything else they can do to resolve this? You might be right about the AD making them not know how to push. Helen only has a BM now if I give her a suppository and she doesn't even have a blockage. Of course she hardly eats any solid food. Guess I'll have to keep up those poop prayers for Russ.

~Betsy said...

Ugh - my comment didn't show up.

Anyway, I think it is possible the AD can affect their ability to remember basic bodily functions like BM's. Many years ago when I worked as a CNA in a nursing home, I had a patient who forgot how to go. We treated her with stoll softners, suppositories, enemas and daily prune juice.

I hope you are at least getting some rest.

~Betsy said...

I mean "stool" softners. Time for me to get some sleep! :)

Unknown said...

My dad doesn't know how.

Nancy said...

so do you have to give him regualar suppositories or enemas to keep him going flinty?

Unknown said...

Well, more or less there is nearly always stool in his depends. The only thing I have to do is if it gets really loose then I put a little (like 1 tsp) of Metamucil in something and that's enough so far.

It's been this way for a while. There was a time when he would pull the covers over his head and I think that was a BM. But even then I don't think he really knew to strain.