Friday, August 3, 2007

vacation/respite

tomorrow morning my family and i will be leaving for a 9 day vacation (2 weekends and 1 full week). russ will be going to respite for that time at the hospice's inpatient unit. i am REALLY looking forward to it but yet it will seem so different. what will i do with all my free time!!!!

russ has gone to respite twice (we tell him he's going to the spa) and has done very well but never for this long a time. he is entitled to his 5 days of respite under hospice but i will extend it an extra 4 days. as excited as i am, i am also feeling a little anxious and apprehensive. how will he do for that long of time? what type and how long will the adjustment be for russ when we return? will he decline more being away for so long? all these unknowns are what i fear. time will tell.

all i know is that since my mom died my immediate family has not had a vacation together, just the 4 of us. a few months after my mom died we took russ down to south carolina with us and he did great, even with the 17 hour drive! last summer we took him to his house for about 10 days and he did ok. this year, even the 3 hour drive would be questionable. it will be different, being up at his lake home without him and my mom but i'm still glad we are going. it will hopefully be a great break for all of us and also to spend some quality time together.

we will take one of my son's laptops so i will periodically drive somewhere where there is a wireless connection. i know i'll go thru terrible withdrawal if i can't stay in touch with all my AD friends! you all are my lifeline. take care all and keep posting! i'll be in touch.

6 comments:

rilera said...

Nancy, enjoy your vacation. I have my fingers crossed that Russ will do fine and that you will be able to relax.

Lori1955 said...

Oh, I hope you have a wonderful vacation. I'm sure Russ will be fine. He probably doesn't have much concept of time so it may not seem any longer to him than the others times. Try to just enjoy yourself and not worry.

~Betsy said...

I'm jealous! :)

No, seriously - I hope you have a wonderful time. I know what you mean about the family time alone. We haven't been able to steal much time alone just the 4 of us for almost 2 years now. I truly hope you have a great time together!!

Unknown said...

Good for you Nancy. I am so pleased for you. Have a great time.

StefanieRose said...

Have fun and try not to worry! *hugs* I will miss you!

~Betsy said...

I miss you Nancy! Hope you are having a wonderful time!