Friday, August 17, 2007

changes in routine

tonight joann, russ' usual HHA was unable to come as she was moving so a different aide was sent. she was very nice and seemed to have had experience with AD patients as she talked slowly and kept it simple. russ seemed to be ok with her yet he wouldn't walk or stand up for her. judy did exactly as i told and showed her, yet russ would only do those things for me.

after watching his behavior tonight i am beginning to think that that is what happened while he was at respite. i think he just didn't feel comfortable or safe with this new person. judy was too much of an unknown to him.

when i think about it it makes sense. not too much is clear in his world and he relies on constants and routines to stay the same. when that changes even slightly his sense of security also changes. i don't want to over think this though because tomorrow is a new day and the next time there is a change he may be fine.

now if i could only figure out his breathing patterns......

3 comments:

Lori1955 said...

That is probably what happened at respite. It was not too long ago that Helen would not let any one but me help her. I was really surprised when hospice came in and she allowed them to do anything to her. Of course as you say, what holds true today could be a whole different story tomorrow. We need to be rubber band flexible.

Unknown said...

That relationship between loved one and caregiver is really strong.

My brother spent the night last night and dad wouldn't do anything for him. When I came in this morning dad was sitting in a chair asleep. My brother said he thought he never did get in bed. I got him changed and got his breakfast and now he is sleeping a way. I think he was just waiting on me.

Rubber band flexible is a well turned phrase Lori.

~Betsy said...

I agree with the attachment to the primary caregiver. Anytime I leave my mom, she seems more confused.

Flexibility isn't one of my strong points - but I'm working on it.