Thursday, August 30, 2007

how do you feel?

russ woke up this morning fairly alert compared to most mornings. when he arrived home from daycare he looked like a totally different person. he appeared almost white in color, with dark cicles under his eyes and a vacant stare like i have not seen before. he actually looked kind of scary, truth be told.

he was totally nonverbal and ate virtually nothing for dinner. that in itself is highly unusual. i preceded to get him ready for bed at 6:45 since he was already dozing big time. about 8:30 he woke up in his chair and threw-up. i don't think i can ever remember my dad throwing up, ever. after about 10 minutes of intermittent vomiting, it seemed to subside. i took his vital signs and they were ok except for a rapid heartbeat; blood pressure ok and no apparent fever.

it has been 3 days again with no BM. his abdomen is hard and listening to his stomach there are no bowel sounds. of course all sorts of things start going through my mind. is this the start of a bowel obstruction? is he that constipated that nothing more will go down? 2 nights ago i didn't feel well; is this something i gave him or is it possibly something he picked up at daycare? tell me russ, how do you feel, are you hurting somewhere?

i ask russ how he feels but i get no answer. just starting into space. even his usual picking at things in the air are not present tonight. just nothing. i press on his stonach but again no answer.

he is in bed now sleeping soundly. i have no idea whether he will sleep through the night peacefully or not. time will tell. i wish that he would verbalize and tell me how he feels. is this something that will pass or something to be concerned about? i will talk to janine in the morning and see what she thinks.

who knows though, maybe russ will wake up smiling and alert. i can hope so. i will also pray.

6 comments:

rilera said...

I'm praying that Russ wakes up alert and feeling better. How scary for you! I'm praying for you and for Russ.

SKYGIRL said...

How frustrating that they can't not respond to a simple "How are you?" "Do you hurt anywhere?" And you are professionally trained, and just as stumped as I would be? I hope & pray for a better day for the both of you tomorrow, Nancy.

Lori1955 said...

Oh Nancy, I'm so sorry that Russ is not well. I always find that throwing up is a bit scary because it can mean so many different things. Please let us know how he is tomorrow. I will keep you both in my prayers.

~Betsy said...

Geez, Nancy. I hope Friday brings a better day for Russ. Did you talk to the folks at day care? Was he OK there? Did he flinch when you pressed on his abdomen?

It's so difficult to play detective while your mind races with all sorts of scenarios. It exhausts me to try and figure out what is going on with Mom from one day to the next.

Sending positive thoughts and keeping you and your dad in my prayers today. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Unknown said...

I am pretty certain that I've never known my dad to vomit either. I had never thought about that before. That's remarkable. He's barely been ill ever in his 90 years.

When I'm sick I always think that's the worst thing. But then when dad's sick I think that's the worst thing.

Just doesn't seem like someone with Alzheimer's should have to get something else but they do.

Thinking about you and praying for you.

~Betsy said...

Just checking in to see how you and Russ are today. I hope all is well. {{{{{hugs}}}}}