Wednesday, August 15, 2007

dads say the darndest things!

it has been 3 weeks now since i stopped russ' namenda. bob and i both agree, russ seems more alert. or at least more appropriately verbal when he does talk. my sister, daycare and his HHA have noticed this as well. i stopped the aricept 2 days ago (per MD advice) and will monitor any effects from stopping that.

since returning from respite i have noticed russ starting to get some of his quick wit back as well. i can still remember vividly how russ used to always be the jokester and have hysterical one-liners. for the most part, those have long disappeared. my sister stopped in at his day care yesterday. when russ saw her, he said "well i'll be damned, it's you!" today sue met me at the VA when i had russ there for a PT evaluation. this was mainly for them to re-train me on proper body mechanics when transferring russ when he can not be of any assistance. (like when he was at respite).

sue met us there and when he saw her he smiled and opened his arms wide. she asked, is that a big hug for me?" he shook his head no and said "my, aren't you getting wide!" i could hardly contain myself. we sat down and sue started talking. she has always had a habit of talking loud. after a few minutes, russ tapped her on her knee and said "TOO LOUD!" out of the mouth of babes.....i told my sister then that i knew what i would be blogging about tonight!

time will tell, but i hope things will continue as is with stopping the aricept as well.

3 comments:

~Betsy said...

Interesting about the Namenda. I thought it was supposed to help, not hurt. Sometimes I wonder about all these medications. I'm interested to hear how things go now that the Aricept is gone, too.

I'll say it again, your dad really sounds like a gem!

Unknown said...

I am thinking about stopping the Aricept here. I just don't think it is worthwhile. Hospice is more reluctant at least for now. They don't want to upset what little stability we've achieved. I appreciate that.

Your Dad is a gem.

Lori1955 said...

He is too funny. Yep just like a kid, overly honest. Isn't it nice that he can get away with what you were probably thinking about the too loud.