Thursday, August 2, 2007

not a typical wednesday

usually wednesdays are my days to catch up on things at home and have a rather lazy day with russ. i work the other 4 days a week about 6 hours/day while russ is in daycare. yesterday started out seeming like a typical wednesday. russ' hospice nurse arrived at 8:30 am as she usually does and fortunately for me she had an unusually quiet day so she was able to stay and talk for almost 2 hours! we discussed a whole gamit of things ranging from russ to our personal and professional experiences with death and dying. especially over the past couple of months i find myself really looking forward to wednesday mornings when janine is here. she is so easy to talk to and we have gotten to know each other so much better, not just the superficial stuff. i know she will be a tremendous source of strength and comfort when the time comes near for russ to end his life here on earth.

after that the day just kinda blurred together. the phone seemed to ring more than usual and i seemed to take 1 step forward and 2 steps back in terms of getting things done. the hospice aide had a busier day than usual so she was later than she usually is. not a big deal but there went my planning for things. my sister sue dropped by to see russ but there was a lot of things we needed to go over so that took time as well. and of course there was the usual laundry which i only got halfway through washing.

then before i knew it celia and her dad glen had arrived as well as the home health aide. don't' get me wrong, i'm not complaining but i suddenly realized that even though i enjoyed seeing everyone, where did my day go? what did i have to show for accomplishments for the day? the next thing i knew bob and the boys were off to the office to do some work and i sat down at the computer to write yesterday's post. before what seemed like just an hour or so, they were home and i looked at my watch. it was 11pm! where did the day go?? i still had laundry to do, a sink full of dishes and had yet to take my shower for the day. oh well, at least the dip in our pool felt good at 11:15. i barely let my head touch the pillow before i'm sure i was snoring. 5:40am came awful soon when russ was to wake.

though the day was not as routine as usual, russ did extremely well. he didn't seem to be as near as frustrated as i was that the laundry didn't get done, nor the dishes and at least he got his bath for the day! well, there will be other wednesdays and many more days when the routine as i know it will be altered. just when we think we can anticipate things, they will change. i'm just glad russ fared better than i did. at least i got my shower this morning!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wednesday is usually my day to catch up, too. I try to not schedule much of anything for Wednesday.

I get tired of all the people coming to the house. On the other hand it is sometimes nice to have someone to talk to.

~Betsy said...

I like your attitude, Nancy. If something doesn't get done, you are OK with it. I think we drive ourselves batty as caregivers because we are always striving for perfection and asking too much of ourselves. Kudos to you!