Sunday, August 12, 2007

up north



(views of lake michigan off the deck of my parent's house)











i am home now. got home late last night. i really didn't want to come home, not because of russ, (i'm actually looking forward to seeing him tomorrow), but because it is just so darn beautiful and peaceful up in door county. bob and i really hope someday to retire up there. there is a part of me that is a real loner and i can see myself going for days without having to worry about anyone else. i don't know, maybe that makes me more selfish than a loner but... before i got married i would go up there for an occasional weekend when my parents were gone and not see or talk to a single soul and just loved it. i thought i would share a poem my mom bought me several years ago. she had a print of it and the first time i saw it i told her i wanted one. it took her about a year to find one but it is just so meaningful to me. it's how i feel about life in door county, wi.


"Up North"

There's a lot of talk about "up north."
It's the place everyone seems to want to go to escape the pressures and frantic pace of everyday life. But where is "up north?" For "up north" is not so much a location as it is a state of mind.
So how do you know when you've arrived "up north?" When you feel the cares of the world begin to slip away... When you find yourself breathing a little deeper because the air seems purer somehow... When you notice that the sky is bluer, the pines are taller and the people smile a lot more...
It's then you know you're "up north!"

Arlet Steel

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful place. Seeing the beach and reading your description reminds me of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's "Gift from the sea" where she explored her own struggles with her life and identity. She was a woman who knew grief.

Thanks for sharing and welcome back. Hope you have a good reunion with Russ.

rilera said...

Welcome back Nancy, I hope your spirit has been renewed by your time Up North! There is nothing more beautiful that a beach on a great lake.

~Betsy said...

Glad to see you back, Nancy! Your photos are gorgeous! No wonder you didn't want to come back. I don't blame you.

I love that poem about 'Up North'. It describes exactly how I feel about being on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Only difference - North Carolina is down south for me!

Lori1955 said...

Great pictures. I understand why you would want to stay there but for me, I am glad you're back.