Saturday, August 25, 2007

sleeping



i have found that the last 2-3 weeks russ primarily sleeps on and off all day on wednesdays and saturdays. i really feel that that is because he is in day care on mon, tues, thurs, fri. it must really wear him out and take a lot out of him so those two days are his to regroup and recuperate. i have talked to the people at day care and they said he will doze while he is there but they try to keep him involved in activities so that he will be tired and will sleep at night. that is good since i do NOT want to return to the times where he was up multiple times during the night. they also said that he does not seem frustrated and the activities are geared to what he may be able to do, ie simple things like even holding and touching objects.

i have often wondered what it must be like for someone with AD struggling to stay connected with what is happening to them in their environment. how it must be so difficult to try to say or do something when the words and actions aren't there or won't cooperate. and then i also wonder when someone is really near the end, is there anything that goes through their mind at all? for the short hours in the day that they are awake do they think about anything? are they capable of processing much if anything at all?

3 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I wonder about this too nancy. I also wonder what their dreams are like. I would imagine it's a very scary world locked inside their minds and yet Helen seems pretty happy most of the time.

~Betsy said...

I am convinced they are aware things aren't right with them and they, at least my mom, tries so hard to hide it. My mom has used cliches for years now and I'm certain it's when she isn't quite sure how to respond to the conversation at hand. It must be like a living nightmare sometimes.

Unknown said...

I think when dad was having the hallucinations he didn't want to sleep. I think he still has bad dreams. I think that's why he likes me sitting there by him.

After I got home today he was trying to clip a ball point pen to his hospital gown but the didn't want me to see him doing it. He was carrying his letter from his church with his name on it.

I think he struggles to hold on to his identity.