Friday, August 24, 2007

aricept and BM's

it has been 11 days since i have stopped the aricept for russ. there has been no appreciable change in his behavior that i can see. one disturbing thing is that he has only had 2 BM's in the last week. i know that one of the most common side effects of aricept is diarrhea. russ used to have periodic problems with that but has had only a few episodes of diarrheas over the past 6 months. now that he is only semi-ambularory on good days he gets virtually no exercise. thus, maybe that side effect of aricept has been keeping him regular.

it has been 4 days now since his last BM. he had MOM last night with no effect. i will now have to start experimenting with stool softeners and laxatives, something that i know i must but i'm not looking forward to it.

russ still eats extrememly well but he has decreased his liquid intake over the past week. both daycare and i are trying to push fluids but he seems to refuse if i push too hard. i guess it will be good that he will be at home all weekend so i can monitor him, but a part of me wishes he would be at day care when the dam bursts!

8 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Nancy, hasn't the hospice nurse given him a laxative? They have been giving me two different ones for Helen to see which worked.
I personnally never noticed any difference with Helen when she was on Aricept. Now that he is off it, it might just take some time for his body to adjust. I will be thinking of you this weekend and hoping you don't have a gusher.

nancy said...

yes, hospice has supplied the milk of magnesia that i tried last night and the colace (softener) and ducolax tablets(laxative) that i'm trying tonight.

~Betsy said...

I hope things go smoothly this weekend, Nancy. I hate dealing with the whole BM thing. I know, I know - it's just poop! LOL

Oh my, we talk about some funny things here! :)

Unknown said...

I decided to stop Aricept for dad but I figured I would do it gradually. So I cut one in half and put it in his ice cream. So when I returned home this morning I checked the freezer and the ice cream was there but uncovered. So that means he wouldn't eat it for my new aide.

Best laid plans and all.

Dad is still pretty regular. I think it is because of the morning yogurt (low sugar) and all these fig and strawberry newtons. I'm about due for a pooparama too.

rilera said...

The bathroom situation is what grosses me out the most. EWW! I know that Mom did it for me (she reminds me of that) but I and IT was a lot smaller then :)

Unknown said...

There a lot of things that are easier with small children.

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

it was a very successful morning!!! YEAH!!!!!
thanks for all your comments!