Wednesday, October 17, 2007

happy birthday mark!





today is mark's (my youngest son's) birthday. he is 20. where has the time gone? i can't believe how fast they grow up. i still remember all too well how he used to run outside in his diaper to pick raspberries off the bushes in our backyard. or how he never liked to go to bed; he was always afraid he would miss something. most nights when bob and i got ready to go to bed we would find mark sound asleep on the upstairs landing. mark would climb out of his bed, but he didn't want us to know he had gotten out, so he wouldn't venture any further than the landing. most nights we heard him as it got to be a nightly ritual. or even from the age of about 3 he would get up and turn on sports center. he would later turn on sesame street but only after he had caught up on all the previous days activities.

mark has a pretty hectic class schedule on wednesdays so bob and i got up early and drove to madison to take him out for breakfast. even though it was short it was good to see him. i worry about him as i'm sure all moms do. he was close to russ and i wonder how much russ' death is affecting him. i know he has been struggling with some classes and they only advice i could give him is what others have told me. "give yourself time and take it one day at a time." hopefully he knows we are here for him.

i love you little buddy and hope you have a wonderful day. you're the best and i'm very proud of you!

10 comments:

SKYGIRL said...

Dear Nancy. There is no way that your Son is not aware of what a wonderful & loving Mommy he has!

Just as I was always so certain, that my Mother was 'there' for me, in every way.

You are a wonderful Mother, Daughter, Wife, Christian, & Nurse. I imagine anything you do, you would be so good at, because you put your Heart & Soul into everything that you do!

"Happy Birthday Mark!"

Lori1955 said...

Happy Birthday Mark!!!!

20 years old? Does it make you feel old Nancy? :) Sometimes, time really does go by just too fast.

Joanne said...

Happy Birthday, Mark!

Very handsome son you have, Nancy. My youngest just turned 28 and my oldest will be 30 in February. I keep telling them they are making me feel old. LOL

~Betsy said...

Happy Birthday, Mark!

I'm sure Mark will be OK with classes, Nancy. When my dad died suddenly, it was right before Nikki's finals. She had a terrible time and ended up having to take summer classes to make up for that semester. But, she is just 6 weeks from graduation now! It only put her one semester behind which wasn't bad considering the rough go of it we had then.

Hang in there, Mark. One more year and your friends will be lining the shots up on the bar for ya'! ;)

Just kidding, mom! :P

StefanieRose said...

I think I might cry. :'( My birthday is only 10 days after Nonna's. I expect we will never share another June birthday party again. It will never be the same.

rilera said...

What a great kid! You are truly blessed. Does he like being a Badger?

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy - just wanted to let you know I visited.

Happy Birthday to Mark and much happiness and congratulations to his parents, too.

geri e said...

Nancy,
I am a friend of Lynne S. Your blog has given me great comfort. My husband has dementia. I have been in great pain. Thank you for sharing your stories. This is a great blog for me.

Geri E

nancy said...

geri e.,
thank you so much for visiting my blog. i'm glad it has helped you. lynne was and continues to be a great source of support for me. if i can be of any other assistance to you, let me know. my thoughts are with you during this difficult journey you are on.

StefanieRose said...

*random love*