Wednesday, October 31, 2007

grief

grief is so different and individualized. i remember after graduating from nursing school i was fortunate enough to hear Elizabeth Kubler-Ross speak twice. it was shortly after she had done all her research on death and dying and had identified the 5 stages a person may go through when facing death. denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. she was fascinating to listen to and was so pertinent to my oncology nursing practice.

i have thought many times since russ died how the ones left behind also go through stages of grief. depending upon the circumstances of the death, sudden, drawn out, suicide, etc. there are many emotions that are apparent as well. for me i think i am finally dealing with my mom's death along with russ'.

i had mentioned over the summer that i am in a book club. last night was my big night, i was presenting research material and leading the discussion on the book i had picked. i have always loved to read yet since russ has died i have no real desire and when i attempt to read i can't focus and have no comprehension of what i've read. even something as simple as reading the morning newspaper has become an effort. needless to say it was an real struggle to finish the book and an effort to prepare for last night.

fortunately every one in the group was understanding and they are very opinionated and so the discussion pretty much led itself with me offering a few tidbits every so often.

i know in my heart this is my grief expressing itself. i will be patient and not push things. i am sure my desire and love for reading will come back to me in time. AND thanks terry for your insight into last night's discussion. we read john's grishom's "an innocent man" which took place in OK, not far from moore so i tapped into terry for his wealth of knowledge and insight.

7 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I sure know what you mean about not bing able to focus. I just tell people I'm still suffering from caregivers dementia. That's great that Terry could help you.
I talked to Unk today!!! We are going to meet tomorrow.

SKYGIRL said...

Cool! Lori & Unk! Nancy, I feel like such a Bozo! I think in a private message, I may have offered up Elizabeth-Kubler-Ross as someone whose books might interest you! You have met her! "DAUH!"

Oh well, my intentions were good.

Lori, when do you leave for "The Walk" in L.A? Does Unk live there, or in Las Vegas?

Unknown said...

I just read my first book in a long while. I found it almost impossible to read during the last couple of years. And I used to read at least a book a week. I think it was the stress of caregiving for dad that was the issue.

I am still not certain whether I have grieved or not for either one of my parents. It seems funny to not know but I think it is honest.

I think that's great that you are in a book club. I think the book you chose is a very interesting one and very important subject, too.

You Done Good!

StefanieRose said...

I have missed your posts. Hang in there my friend. Know how much you are loved.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I have trouble reading now because of poor eyesight. I really did enjoy it though. I tend to stick with internet reading or picture books like magazines.

I have caregiver adhd as I call it. I have adhd anyway though, lol. My mind races and changes channels even more so now. Almost like my mind is waking up again. of course, there are times when I am alone and thoughts of my folks come to mind. Distraction is normal for us....anymore, after what we have been through, I would say just about anything is normal for us. I feel as though we are all doing just fine, all things considered.

Take care sweetie....I hope you are enjoying this wonderful fall weather we are having.

rilera said...

After my father died I read The Wheel of Life by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. It helped me so much that I gave it to my Mom to read. Be gentle with yourself, you've been through so much these last few years.

~Betsy said...

I think the phrase for you right now is slow and steady. You have been through so much in the last few years and you owe yourself some time to heal. I imagine it's pretty tough to get back to life.

A book club sounds wonderful. Reading just isn't in my schedule these days.