Thursday, October 4, 2007

2 weeks ago

(taken last fall on one of russ' and mine many drives to enjoy the fall color)


it has only been 2 weeks since russ died. a part of me seems like it was yesterday yet another feels like it was much longer. i am doing ok. this is a hard time for me, not just with remembering everything but because there are many october birthdays in my family that bring back a flood of memories. i hope in time they will only bring smiles.

as i reflect on 2 weeks ago i am still so thankful that janine took control and offered to send in the continuous care nurses. russ' last 23 hours were difficult to watch. with his increase in pulse and respirations i am not sure how long i could have held it together by myself for russ, my sister, and myself and constantly watch the clock to record times to give the meds, how russ was responding and still be there comforting russ.

by having janine, lynne, rita, lois and pat there i was able to be a daughter as i wanted to be. they were behind the scenes, doing the nursing part and i was able to just sit there and hold russ' hand and do the daughter part.

janine and lynne (from the inpatient unit and only lives 10 minutes from me) both helped to cover until the first "official" nurse arrived at midnight. i had met rita at the in-patient unit where she usually works nights if there is not a need for continuous care. she has been doing this about 8 years i think. it was a comfort to see a familiar face. she would talk with me if i felt like talking or otherwise she just sat there and monitored and handled the situation. she said she never had seen someone who didn't respond to all the meds russ had been given throughout the night. she called him an anomaly. i always knew russ was one of a kind.

the next nurse to come was lois. i had heard glowing reports from janine, rita and especially lynne. lynne said lois trained her for continuous care and was the best. she didn't disappoint me. she has been with vitas continuous care about 4 years i think. she was so calming and quiet in doing what needed to be done. during the time she was there (8am-4pm) she bathed russ twice (he had a temp of 104), changed his bed and was just so tender with him, that's how i would best describe it. she encouraged sue and i to go upstairs to the kitchen for awhile to eat. i know it was her way of seeing if russ wanted to die without us present but i thank her for her kindness in the way she handled it. the thing that impressed me most about lois was how she was able to single-handedly turn and reposition russ by herself. remember that russ was not a small man and lois is not a large woman, yet she was able to scoop him up gingerly and turn him. she looked like she was gently picking up and turning a sleeping infant, being oh so careful not to wake him. lois made sure russ was positioned just right, that he was as comfortable as was humanly possible. i was sad to see lois go. i think russ was too.

pat arrived next and within the hour of lois leaving, russ was gone. pat pronounced him dead, made the necessary phone calls and the funeral home came and left within about 90 minutes of that time.

hospice was truly a wonderful experience and support system for russ and especially me. i will forever be indebted to all of them for all their loving care that they gave to us both. as it has been said before, they are truly God's angels. thank you all.

6 comments:

SKYGIRL said...

Nancy. I am glad you are digging out old photos, they will bring back happier memories, soon.

I have always heard of such praise for Hospice! I have never needed them, yet, but what would we do without them?

They must be the kindest of the kindest, to even choose this for a profession.

I'm so glad that your Dad was treated so well, by all, during his last journey, here, but on his way to Heaven.

It will get better Nancy, I promise.

N.Mc. OOOXXXOOOO

Lori1955 said...

I am glad you were surrounded by these angels during that final time. I finally got around to writing a letter of thanks to hospice yesterday. I had already sent letters to the aide and nurse. I wonder what people did before hospice.

Unknown said...

That's a gorgeous tree and a beautiful scene.

Really excellent description of the hospice care you received. I am really glad you had them there.

~Betsy said...

You paint such a peaceful picture of Russ' last hours. I am very thankful you had your angels of mercy surrounding you all.

I think of you often and hope you are doing OK. I know you have a lot of October birthdays to get through. I'll be thinking of you and Russ on Friday especially.

Joanne said...

I'm so glad you had hospice there for you. They all sound like beautiful people...the kind we all need at our side in those times.

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful picture. Take care of yourself, Nancy.

((HUGS))

Unk said...

Nice Post Nancy
Always give credit where credit is due. Dunk and I think the world of Hospice also. This is one reason that Dunk (Dottie) spends every Monday afternoon helping the local Hospice thrift store. Even the Thrift store employees are great people.
Tell Lori that I am so happy that she is cleaning Helen's closet.

Love UNk