Tuesday, October 23, 2007

happy birthday bob!


well, we are at the end of our october family birthdays. dare i say, the best was saved for last? i know bob would kid me and say that.

you never really know what you are going to get when you marry someone. i will be honest and say there have been a few hard times during our almost 25 year marriage but what marriage doesn't have trying times? overall it has been good, very, very good.

i think the last 2 years have really shown me what a wonderful caring man i was lucky enough to find and marry. i know that bob truly loves and cares for me, unconditionally. he has proven to me that when we took our vows he meant it when he said through good times and bad. i know it would have been extremely difficult for me to care for russ without the love and understanding of my husband. there were numerous times i would ask him, "are you ok with this?" or "are you sure we can do this?" never once did he pause or hesitate, it was always "absolutely, we're doing fine, it's not that bad." and he really felt that way.

i remember only 2 months before my mom died, both gene & russ were down visiting for christmas. gene was having a rough night as russ had had a bad day. without prior knowledge or discussions bob told my mom that we would always be here to help her with russ, that she shouldn't worry, we would do whatever it took to keep him safe and support her. she started crying as i know she was deeply touched by what he said. i was crying as well.

bob always stepped right up to whatever was thrown at him. whether it was russ thinking bob was the maintenance man, someone new to meet (almost on a daily basis) or frequently just "that guy" he was always there for russ. during the periods when russ was up MULTIPLE times during the night, bob would alternate getting up with me at bob's insistence. he never seemed to be rattled by the numerous repetitive questioning or russ needing help getting dressed or walking. as for cleaning up messes (you know the kind i mean), he never hesitated, and usually without gloves. now if that's not true love!

i remember always kidding my mom that russ always put her on a pedestal and would do whatever she asked, she was "the queen." well, i'm beginning to think i know just how she felt.

happy birthday bob. thank you for all your love and support. i love you!!!

9 comments:

Lori1955 said...

What a wonderful tribute to Bob. It sounds like you hit the jackpot with him. Happy birthday, Bob.

arutherford said...

Nancy, you have been richly blessed indeed. First with wonderful, loving parents; then a "keeper" of a husband; and then two great and handsome sons.

Happy Birthday Bob. Thanks for taking such good care of "our" Nancy.
Love, Ann

StefanieRose said...

*hugs* BOB! LOL he may not know me but I just hugged him. I am so glad you have had him Nancy. I only wish everyone who had to deal with Alz could have a spouse who was so loving.

~Betsy said...

This is a lovely tribute to Bob. I know just how you feel.

Happy Birthday, Bob! You really are a gem!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to Bob indeed. Hope you are doing well Nancy.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Wow! I would say you are both truly bless to have each other. I hope you have a wonderful day, Bob and your birthday is made up of all things good and beautiful.

SKYGIRL said...

"Happy Birthday Bob!" A keeper is right! I always need to see an example of a Good & Healthy Marraige, this one applies! I don't see too many anymore.

I'm glad you had such a Loving Husband, to walk through these very difficult Years with You Nancy!

N.Mc. OOOXXXOOO

Joanne said...

Awh, Nancy, you found a gem in Bob. I know exactly how you feel. I feel the same way about Two Feather and he's as good with Mom as Bob was with Russ and Jean. Hang onto him. He's a keeper!

Happy Birthday, Bob!

Lori1955 said...

I forgot to mention that I think that Bob is a very lucky guy to have you too.