Thursday, October 11, 2007

3 weeks

it has been 3 weeks since russ died. it sure doesn't seem that long. many of my days have been spent doing what needs to be done and not much more. hopefully i will soon feel more energized to get out more and just be motivated to do things.

lynne, a hospice nurse called last night to check in on me and see how i was doing. it was so sweet of her to call and we had a really nice talk. i was explaining how the house seemed so empty. not only was russ not here but both boys are off at school. in such a short time my home went from 5 down to 2.

she pointed out to me that janine no longer makes her routine visits nor does victoria, the hospice aid or joann, the home health aid i had coming in some evenings. i am not seeing the drivers who use to pick russ up for day care or talking with the staff at daycare either. with russ' death, all those people i had come to know and rely on and communicated with on a regular basis are now gone as well. i'm sure they still think about russ and me, as i think about them, but we have lost that need for personal contact.

the one thing i know is there are still my blogging friends. even though i may not be posting daily like i use to, i still read all of your blogs daily. i continue to take comfort in knowing you are all there and you still check in with me as well.

this is an unique journey we AD caregivers travel. i truly believe it binds us forever and unless one has experienced it or walked the same journey people just can't understand. so i thank all of you for being my friend and i look forward to keeping up with you as we continue to walk this AD journey, whether it be still in the present or after our LO's have ended their journey. ours lives will continue and i hope we will continue to share them with one another for a long, long time.

7 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Boy, I sure understand that empty house feeling.
Just curious, are you planning on using the bereavement stuff that hospice offers? I didn't use them.
Yes sweetie, we will be forever tied to each other. I treasure you as a friend.

~Betsy said...

Baby steps, Nancy. I'm certain that when Russ came to live with you, the adjustment was a slow one. This will also follow suit.

I hope you know we are here for you. Take care. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

SKYGIRL said...

Amen! I am wondering if you couldn't just meet with those gals for little coffee clutch? Or are they too busy? It seems you ended up with the cream of the crop in Hospice Care.

Maybe this is why I have noticed so many people asking for donations to go to Hospice, in lui of Flowers, and not The Alzheimers Association?

Oh shoot, I have to change my WILL! LOL! N.Mc. ;-)

nancy said...

lori, i know janine mentioned that they do have some bereavement but can't say that i remember what it is so i don't know what i'll do.

betsy, i do know you guys are here for me, that's what helps right now and keeps me going!

we are going to give a donation to the hospice nancy. they were great.

Joanne said...

Step by step, day by day. That's all you can expect of yourself right now, Nancy. I think of you often and want you to know how much I appreciate you sharing your story and Russ with us.

We'll all be here whenever you need us. Just as you were for us. ((HUGS))

StefanieRose said...

I am super glad you posted. I have missed reading. I hope never to loose track of you Nancy. You have been one out of my many mothers here. I don't to loose any of them even for a minute.

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy - it is 3 weeks for me today, too. And its my mom's birthday today. It is strange to have no parents any longer and my brother and I have talked about it briefly. It reminded me of dad's loneliness when all of his siblings were gone and both parents. I didn't understand that then but I have a better idea of it now.

Continuing to hold you in my thoughts and prayers.