Wednesday, January 9, 2008

tornadoes in january?




2 evenings ago, south eastern wisconsin experienced multiple tornadoes. now if it were spring or summer it would be quite normal but in january? there has only been 1 other tornado reported in january in the state of wisconsin since the national weather service started keeping records in the late 1800's and that was in 1962. it is also not common to see 70 degree weather in wisconsin in january.

fortunately there were no deaths but over 30 homes were leveled around the racine and kenosha counties (just north of the wisconsin/illinois state line and about 30 miles from our house).

we had high winds at our home and what appeared to sound like a severe thunderstorm with the heavy driving rain. i can remember having occasional thunderstorms during winter months and it always feels so weird to hear them in the winter. fortunately no trees or other structures were damaged but our winter wonderland of snow is now gone.

11 comments:

SKYGIRL said...

Oh, Nancy! I am so glad you posted this! I've been meaning to E-Mail You, to be certain that you were not hit!

I had to look up your address, because I thought "Wheatland" sounded familiar? Still 30 miles, is a little too close for comfort!

I'm sure glad you were not hurt!

Can you spell "Global Warming?" Can I??? LOL!

~Betsy said...

Yikes! I saw the news and all the tornadoes going through the Midwest - I'm glad you only had the high winds and thunder storms. Tornadoes terrify me.

We also had 70 degrees on Monday and Tuesday which did my sole good. I had windows open to air the house! No doubt your winter will return shortly, as will ours!

~Betsy said...

LOL - I meant to say "soul" :)

Lori1955 said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so glad you weren't hit. I will take good old California earthquakes over a tornado any day. I don't want to end up in Oz.

Anonymous said...

YIPES! Glad to hear that YOU are okay!

Joanne said...

I'm so glad you're okay, Nancy. Tornadoes are scary. We had the higher temps here in PA at the beginning of the week too, and high winds on Tuesdday night. No tornadoes, though. Thank goodness.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Glad you are ok Nancy. We had warnings here too and I think one touched down near Peoria.

The weather has been so weird around here, I saw a dandalion yesterday in my yard. The poor thing didn't even know what season it was. Now we are getting snow tonight. Maybe I can take a pic of that dandalion in the snow and post it.

StefanieRose said...

Thats pretty crazy Nancy. Its been pretty windy here but we never get twisters. Thanks by the way for all the nice comments on my blog I really love coming home to those.

Unknown said...

Tornadoes are so amazing. We see a lot of them here and they honestly can and do happen just about anytime.

They are one of those things that are eerily beautiful and make you want to watch them while at the same time raising every fiber of terror in your person.

Glad you are fine.

Joanne said...

Juat checking in on you, Nancy. Hey, how about those Packers!!!! Since the Steelers are out of the running, I rooted for your team. :D

~Betsy said...

I suspect The Pack is going to The Super Bowl! YAY! :)