Friday, January 25, 2008

cold, snow, bitter cold, more snow





this has been a different winter so far. yet when i stop to think about it, it really reminds me of the winters when i was growing up. back then we would get much more snow than we have gotten say the past 10-20 years or so. the same with the cold. we have really been spoiled the past few years, we have avoided that bitter cold we have recently experienced.

traditionally when it gets really cold, single digits or below, it is too cold to snow. the same has been true this year yet we have experienced both. it seems the weather warms up for a day or two, we get the snow and then, it returns to the sub zero weather.

we have already reached close to our season snowfall this year and we are really only 6-8 weeks into true winter in wisconsin. we typically get snow into april and on rare occasions may. moving here from illinois i noticed the biggest difference is that wisconsin has little to no spring. we tend to go right from winter to summer.

where am i going with this thought? i have been reminded a lot lately of what my oldest son matt asked me this past summer. we were sitting around and he asked, "mom, do you think grrr will make it through the winter?" matt didn't as he thought the snow and especially the cold would get the better of him. as i think about the winter we have had thus far, i know matt was right.

russ used to love the season's changing and for the most part winter, cold never seemed to get the better of him. his last 6 months of life he was forever cold. it could have been 80+ degrees out and he would have said he was cold and wanted a sweater on. even last winter, and we had a really mild winter, he was forever cold. it would be nothing for him to wear long underwear, a turtleneck, a wool shirt and then a fleece jacket - inside!

our upstairs stays warm in the winter but our ground level, the family room, and sun room, which became his bedroom and living quarters the last 4 months of his life once he could no longer do stairs, gets pretty chili in the winter. the sun room (his bedroom) has windows from floor to ceiling on 2 sides. it made a wonderful room for russ to be in, in nice weather with the view and all, but it has been pretty darn cold lately when we get our cold snaps.

matt was right, i don't know how he would have survived. as much as i miss him, i know he is warm right now in God's loving arms and enjoying the snow from afar. keep warm everyone! early next week, we may get up to close to 40 degrees. i can guarantee you that people in wisconsin will be wearing shorts!!!!!

12 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Hey where is that global warming they keep talking about. Even we are having the coldest winter we have had in years. I know I won't get any sympathy from you but it is only 60 degrees here right now. That's cold for us desert rats.

Yes Russ is warm now in His arms. As much as we may fight it and grieve over it, I know that God knows when it is time to call them home.

rilera said...

People in Minnesota will be wearing shorts as well if it hits 40.

It has been a traditional winter like ones from the past for us too. Snowy and cold.

Take care Nancy.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

The last "heat wave" we had here in IL a few weeks ago, I saw a girl in Walmart wearing flipflops and cutoffs. And silly me was still wearing my long wool coat.

Your post stirred up a lot of things I hadn't thought about. The night before my dad fell, we were on the way home from the bar after playing golf. I made a comment about how I couldn't wait for Fall to arrive and he looked at me and asked if I would like to be let out right here?!? He disliked the colder months and even though he would have been in Panama City Beach right now, how he would have gotton through his grief thus far without Mom. He would have because he was strong like that but it would have been so hard on him.

Mom was always cold and even summer found her in sweaters. She had no meat on her bones and I used to tease her and say she was no midwestern girl if she didn't eat her meat and tators.

My daughter is freezing in your WI winters. A bit different up there for her and being so close to the lake. She still loves it though and is having the time of her life.

Once again a heartfelt post. Is that your home? It's gorgeous! Snow always lends a beautiful backdrop to a scene.
(((Hugs Nancy)))

nancy said...

chris, i agree, madison can get really cold when the wind picks up over the lake. yes, this is our house. we love the peace and quiet. we have neighbors on one side and a farmers field on the other.

~Betsy said...

This is a very though-provoking post, Nancy. I don't know how Mom would have gotten through our bitter temperatures this winter, either. It got to be so hard to take her anywhere and that was only in October. She was never cold in her younger years but she sure made up for it post diagnosis.

It is good to know our LO's are warm and safe now. Stay warm, buddy.

StefanieRose said...

I am really jealous of all your snow. We normaly have so much this time of year but not this year. We have none! It makes me wonder...

rilera said...

I saw someone wearing SHORTS today! I thought of you. Hope you are having a good weekend.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

What a beautiful home! Kind of a tudor style?

I have a picture in my blog of my mom in a boat in a swimsuit. Perhaps you might remember it. It's under the beauty queen and the pilot entry. That pic was taken on Lake Mendota which is about 5 minutes from my daughters house!

We should have a home show some time between all of us. Everyone post pics of their home. That would be neat to see everyone's houses.

Unknown said...

We can have all 4 seasons in a day here. It's supposed to be 70 today and 45 tomorrow and colder the rest of the week.

Everyone talks about it being unusual but it is actually kind of normal to have these variations for us.

I remember when I moved to Kansas City though and my neighbors were clearing the first snow from their driveways and I thought it strange. Because here in Oklahoma we just wait a short time and it melts. Finally someone told me if I wanted to get my car out of the garage ever again I'd better get to clearing.

Joanne said...

Tyring to catch up. Very heartfelt post, Nancy. The weather seems to be totally different everywhere this year. I've often wondered how Mom would manage this winter. So far she's holding up pretty well. She's always complained of being cold for as long as I can remember. Here in PA we won't be wearing shorts even if the temperature rises. I'll wait for the 70 and 80 degree days for that. ;)

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Just checking in today. My daughter said the weather there was terrible yesterday and it was hailing badly when I called.

We had blizzard warnings but so far just a lot of bone chilling wind.

Stay safe up there!

rainbowheart said...

Our cold in the South is not same cold that everyone else is having...I never have snow..It is gets cold and then it rains and then we get some thin ice. But I think that I would enjoy living somewhere that gets snow..That is what the future plans are for retirement...building and then moving somewhere that there is snow. You have a beautiful home in the snow..I can imagine that your home is just as beautiful during the spring and summer months. Take care Nancy...have you heard anything from the job?