Monday, January 14, 2008

frustration with the job search


i had felt really good 2 weeks ago about getting out resumes. it had been a new year's resolution to get out my resume early and get on with my life. there were a handful of jobs i applied for, some of which i felt qualified for, others just seemed might be a nice change to try. the nice thing with nursing is there is so many opportunities out there and so many jobs.

there is even this one job that lately i have felt good about, it would be helping oncology patients. that is what i did many years ago and has always been a passion of mine. my mom's mom died of breast cancer when i was in nursing school and i know that she is what lead me down that path. even with bob's and my business we have always had a few oncology patients so i have been able to keep my hand in oncology.

it has been over 20 years since i have applied for a job though. last thursday someone from HR called for me, unfortunately i wasn't home, and left a message stating he wanted to set up a telephone interview with me. we played phone tag thursday afternoon and friday. he called me this morning stating he wanted to set up a time for this phone interview and asked when i would be available. i asked how long it would take and he said 10 min. he said it was to make sure i was qualified for the position and to answer any questions i might have about it. i said i was available now, or tomorrow morning, etc. he suggested he call back at 9am tomorrow.

i was polite but after i hung up i thought, what the heck?!? why not just do it then? i had the time, and obviously he called me, so he had time. how long was it going to take to see that having more than 20 years of oncology experience i was more than qualified? i just don't get it. IF i qualify after tomorrow, then i will have to go and meet with someone in HR, and then if they like me, i will finally get to talk to someone that i will work with and really get down to the job stuff.

i realize that HR serves a purpose but i also think that there is a lot of layers involved to just make things more difficult than they need to be.

from people i have talked to this is pretty standard for at least health care positions in the milwaukeee area. no wonder there is a nursing and other health care professional shortage! boy was i ever out of touch to think that you could apply for a job and have something a week or two later. with bob and i having our own small business we were able to do that and it seemed to work. if i saw a resume i liked, i called them, talked a bit with them, and then set up a time for them to come in and really see what it would be all about.

at this pace, it could be march before i start working. i had no idea this is what i was up against. to make matters worse, the guy from HR said they are tweaking the job description from what had been posted but when i asked how it might differ, he didn't have the new one in front of him yet. AWWWWWWWWWGH.

guess i'll head back to the want ads and drawing board. as much as this job looked promising, bills will never get paid waiting on it.

on a better note, we have again had snow so we are back to our winter wonderland. AND the packers won on saturday. with the cowboys losing yesterday, the final NFC game will be played in green bay on sunday. Go pack go!!!!

9 comments:

~Betsy said...

I'm sorry you're going through such a runaround with the job stuff. You would think with today's technology, HR would be more efficient than ever. Guess not.

I am so excited for you and your Packers! My son's high school colors are green and gold so we already have the proper gear!

((hugs)) Hang in there!

rilera said...

Looking for a job is very frustrating for me. And yes, it has changed so very much. In IT where I work they now test the candidate. I'm not very good at thinking on my feet so I usually don't do very well. Over Christmas I had a call back about a resume that I had sent. The HR person had a really thick Indian accent and it took me several tries to figure out what he was saying. I called back but haven't heard back from them. sigh. Hang in there Nancy, the right job is out there waiting for you, I just know it.

Go Pack! I'd really like to see them in the Super Bowl this year.

arutherford said...

Nancy,
I thought of you when your Packers won on Sat. And in the middle of a blizzard. Tough guys!

I can't imagine how frustrating you must be. You know you're qualified. You know you have a heart for nursing, especially oncology. You know you are far more dependable than the younger women with families and other obligations. Why in the heck doesn't the employer see that? Maybe because the younger ones are in the HR dept.!

We'll pray that just the right job opens up for you. God bless you.
Ann

Lori1955 said...

I can't believe that people aren't banging down your door to hire you. I have never seen a single place that isn't understaffed.

Guess we'll just have to trust that the right one will come along. I'll keep praying for you but just make sure that whatever happens, you keep that weekend in April open!

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Hey Nancy, you WILL get something, I just know it. And it will be a perfect fit, without the hassle and foolishness these corporate junkies feel is involved. Just keep churning out those resumes and something is just going to plop right into your lap! My mom always said everything always works out somehow. And she was always right!

I was watching the Packers the other night at my boss's house during her dinner party. I was amazed at the snow you all were getting and hoping some of it would slide down south. No such luck:( Should be a good game this weekend. Go Packers!

StefanieRose said...

The job search can be so annoying. I have to do it for summer internships and its really frustrating. Pretty soon I will have to find a real job X_X You will find something my love! Just give it time.

*poke*

rainbowheart said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through the craziness. I too am going through that same thing. Resumes, interviews, more resumes and interviews. I pray that Wednesday is the charm for me. I will keep you in my prayers as you are looking for a job too. If that is the snow in back yard, can I put a tent up in your backyard? lol.. So much snow. It is beautiful...

Joanne said...

Going back into the work force after being in business for yourself is tough. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping just the right job comes up that will fit you to a T. Keep those resumes going out. I'm sure you'll find an employer who will recognize your excellent qualifications. ((hugs))

SKYGIRL said...

I never even heard of a phone interview? Maybe they are under-staffed in HR? I am sfraid you have so much experience, & wisdom Nancy, it will be hard to act 'dumb' and go along with what may seem like utter ignorance to you.

There is such a thing as being over-qualified? I finally experienced it first hand. Basically it ruined my entire idea for income in Montana? They were hiring 18 year-olds, right out of school, but not me, with 19 years of experience under my belt? Goofy?

Oh well, I decided it wasn't meant to be, but you will find the right job, I just hope you wont 'settle' you are far too much of an asset for anyone, they just don't know it yet!