Friday, November 30, 2007

baby steps


2 days ago i finally started to tackle making russ' bedroom back into an office/guest room. in actuality he had not been in there or able to sleep up there since last may. his ambulation became so difficult from the AD that he could no longer do stairs. yet the majority of his clothes and other few belongings were still there as i didn't have room downstairs where he spent all of his time.

our computer used to be in the guest room but was moved out when he came to live with us. somehow sitting down at the computer when he wanted to go to bed didn't seem fair to him. besides i also didn't want someone leaning over me and breathing down my neck as he would have done, especially early on.

tuesday evening the computer went back upstairs from our living room and yesterday my sister came over and we went through most of russ' clothes. did any of the men in our lives want any, which pants would i take to day care for backup use for them, and which would go to goodwill? we are going to have a stuffed animal (teddy bear) made for both of us and the 5 grandkids with russ' shirts so we had to pick out what shirts we wanted for those. the hospice i used for russ will make them for us as part of their services. my understanding is that their volunteers make them. i picked the shirt that russ is wearing in the picture on my blog. it was interesting to see what each of my boys picked. i had them look through his shirts when they were home over thanksgiving.

there were definitely moments when tears were shed as we looked through his belongings, triggering memories but i am glad we were able to get through a good chunk of his things. selfishly, i am also glad to have more space in my living room again. there are still some items i'm not sure what to do with but i'm hoping in time it will make sense to me.

10 comments:

SKYGIRL said...

Congratulations Nanc! That is some tough stuff, tears or no tears.

You will be so happy to have it done, eventually, and not have it hanging over your head, I imagine.

Good work! ;-)

Joanne said...

You done good, Nancy! I'm glad you're getting things somewhat back to what they used to be. What a wonderful thing hospice is doing with the shirt bears. ;) I didn't have any idea they did things like that. Such a wonderful keepsake.

When Dad died, I kept several pair of his carpenter jeans and made bedside caddies for Mom, my brothers and their wives and myself. Mom and I still have ours, not sure if the others do.

Lori1955 said...

Oh I love the teddy bear idea. I wish our hospice did something like that.

I'm glad you got this done. I know it is painful but it is also cleansing. I'm glad I got it done.

arutherford said...

I applaud you Nancy. It's been over a year now and I still have lots of Daddy's clothes. Bad case of lethargy where that's concerned.

You are slogging through this tough stuff with such grace.

Blessings, dear friend.

rilera said...

That is one of the most difficult things to do. I'm sure it was emotional for you and your sister.

I love the teddy bear idea. I wish we had done that with my dad's things. Something to treasure forever.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I hope to be as far ahead as you one day. I have to get everything done this month, per my brother. ugh. Nothing like a little stress around the holidays.

I saved my mom's flannel nighties and I am making bears for myself, my dauhter and my SIL said she even wanted one. I am also going to make some bears for my grandbabies to have from their great grandma. Out of the scraps, I am going to make a quilt for my daughter.

There is just something comforting about our LO's clothes and belongings. Take care and I am sure gad you have got that all finished. I so wish I was done too.

StefanieRose said...

yay BABY! :) lol Anyways now THATS the attitude I need to fallow your lead on. *hugs* Your great Nancy thanks for being so brave.

Unknown said...

I started the other day. I took pictures. I walked through the entire house and took several pictures of every room. Then I shared them with my brother.

I'm gearing up.

You Done Good!

Annie said...

Teady bears, pure genious!

~Betsy said...

I have a bear that was made from one of my best friend's shirts after he passed. When I brought it home, my mom basically claimed it. It sat on her bed - in fact it still is there - every day.

Congratulations on getting started on the difficult task, Nancy. Hang in there.