Thursday, November 8, 2007

moving in the right direction

(we picked this thank you card as it looks so much like the beach in door county in front of my parents place that russ so loved to walk)


chris' post inspired me to finally stop procrastinating and sit down today to write those thank you notes to people who had done something special for us after russ died like sending food, flowers or donations. it has been 7 weeks since russ died and i know they are long overdue yet the thought of sitting down and writing them just exhausted me. it was definitely something i was dreading.

my sister and i had split the list and i knew she finished her's early last week so that was also a motivator.

it wasn't busy at work today so i stayed at home. i set up a tray on my lap with the list and note cards and it took several hours but i finished. i had a few shows i had taped on tv so i half-watched and half-listened to them as i wrote the cards out.

to be honest some of the notes were pretty standard thank you's but there were also quite a few that i wanted to write something more personal. those were the ones that i really had been putting off. i think the fear of it becoming too emotional was why i was procrastinating. but once i started i got into a rhythm so i kept plodding along and got through them all with only a few tears.

i must say it is a good feeling to be done. my mom had always been a stickler for writing thank you notes so i didn't want to disappoint her. another major hurdle done, now on to the next, what ever that might be.

8 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Well I only had 3 thank you note to write and they were all to hospice so I had it easy.
Glad you got something off your to do list. Please take your time. I didn't and now I have reached a stand still. I'm not rushing anymore.

~Betsy said...

Well done Nancy. I'm sure your parents are proud!

dave said...

bless you Nancy. It is so easy to put that task off and so wonderful to be acknowledged.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Yay Nancy for getting them done! My mom was a stickler about thank you's and I find I have become one as well.

The cards you found are simply beautiful. I was in Door County many years ago and I remember it like that as well. For Mom, I was able to find cards with butterflies on them but for Dad, no cards with golf themes so I opted for something more "formal".

Since we didn't have a funeral for either parent, my thank you card sending was minimal. I am sure I would still be writing cards as they knew everyone in town. It's so nice though to be showered with so much love an kindness in times of sadness. It really helps. Hugs to you, my friend. I saw a bright red leaf on my deck the other day and I thought of you and Russ. I smiled...

Joanne said...

I can imagine how difficult some of those notes were to write. Glad you made it through them and that's off your list. Take your time, Nancy. Be gently with yourself.

rainbowheart said...

Nancy,
I love your site. And "rabbit, rabbit" is just incredible...thank you so much for sharing. If I may say, the "Thank You Notes" were the hardest thing for me to do when my brother passed away. And I thought that I would never get done with them. I think it took me about a month to finish them. Take care of yourself.....

Unknown said...

I wrote out special notes to quite a number of people.

There are several people I never did get to see personally at the funeral. I feel a little bad about it because they were so important to dad and mom.

I love stationery selection, too.

Anonymous said...

Yes Nancy, congratulations on completing a very difficult task!

Birthday, Christmas, any gift required a hand written thank you note at our house! Ingrained in me from my earliest memories of drawing “thank you” pictures and carefully copying the printed words onto those masterpieces! My parents were also sticklers for sending out cards. The hardest ones to write were definitely those written after Dad’s funeral. I thought that I had cried a river when I had to write the formal notice to all of their missionary friends and family members world wide. his obituary for the newspapers on both coasts and the funeral service notes for the minister in charge of the service. I cried an ocean reading the sympathy cards and another while trying to write out the thank you notes. I sat there wishing that these people had taken the time to tell HIM, not us, his family, after his passing, what an impact he had on their lives. He would really have appreciated knowing how people saw him. Dad always felt that he had not accomplished much, had not reached enough people, and after his death, we heard from SO many people that he was wrong in that assumption. Sad.