Friday, November 23, 2007

thankful blessings







overall, yesterday went very well. i think the total count was an even 60. it worked out so well celebrating thanksgiving in the church. the kitchen was huge and had everything we needed. i arrived at 7:30am with my cousin to unlock the church. other cousins arrived shortly thereafter and by 8:15 we had 3 turkeys and 2 turkey breasts in either the ovens or nesco roasters. not long after the potatoes and dressing were made, along with other hot dishes and the salads. there were at least 8-10 of us in the kitchen and nobody bumped into one another. only the deserts had to be made ahead of time. with the multiple ovens things could be prepared that morning eliminating a lot of work that preciously had been done the day before. also the table and chairs were already set up so no moving of furniture and hauling of the table and chairs back and forth.

the rest of the clan started dribbling in around 10:30 and we all were ready to eat at 12:15.

another new tradition we started this year was started by the husband of russ' great niece who was married 2 days after russ died. jordon is the associate pastor and youth minister at the church. he asked us all to make a big circle before we ate and hold hands. he said a brief opening prayer and stated we would go around the circle and if we wanted to we could state what we were thankful for. i would say only about 10-12 of us did, but those who did, spoke so meaningful from the heart. common threads were thankfulness for the food and family present, health, new lives and of course for those that are no longer with us. another was also for remembering family traditions yet realizing that new ones needed to be started.

(russ' sister, brother, and sister-in-law)


i was not able to speak at all as the tears were streaming down my face. they were not only sad tears though for missing both my parents. some were also thankful tears for being able to be with russ' family as it somehow made me feel closer to him. russ and my mom so loved and looked forward to spending thanksgiving in galesburg with his family so i know he would have been pleased and proud that we continued to go and spend it with family.


most years we also have a theme and this year was no different. we were asked to dress up as a title of a song and people had to guess. bob wore a mask on the back of his head (2 faces have i), matt dressed up like elvis did for jailhouse rock, mark dressed in all black with a paint brush (paint it black) and i just went as myself (nancy with the laughing face - russ and i danced to it at my wedding). other good ones were "material girl", "deck the halls", "leader of the pack(ers)".

we were also able to watch the packers win by watching a delayed tape of the game on a projection screen. everyone was told not to check text messages or let on if they knew the results.



now if i can only get through christmas as easily. i'm not convinced i will as i think that will be tougher. it was my mom's favorite holiday and the group is much smaller and intimate. christmas eve was spent just with my my parents and christmas day we always get together with my sister and her family as well as my parents. there will only be 10 of us on christmas vs. the 60. guess i'm going to have to talk to my niece kristen (and greg) about adding to those numbers! LOL.

10 comments:

~Betsy said...

It sounds to me as if your tears were the beginning signs of healing. I know you feel sad, but a gathering like this is so good for the soul.

I'm so glad you had this time with your family.

~Betsy said...

Awe! When I posted my comments a few minutes ago, the photos didn't show up. These are great pictures!

StefanieRose said...

AWWWW that looks like soooo much fun! I am so glad it worked out all right. I wish I could have come! lol

rilera said...

Blah! My family was watching the Lions :(

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. I know it was hard.

Unknown said...

We live .2 miles from Judy's mom's house and it was after noon before we got there so 10:30 is pretty awesome.

What an imaginative and creative bunch your family is! I am so impressed.

And 60 is a pretty big group by any standard.

Thanks for sharing this time - just fabulous.

Joanne said...

These Thanksgiving posts bring all of us to tears. Yours was no different; it made me cry. Sounded like you had a beautiful and fun day with all the relatives. What lovely pictures. How about those Packers! Farve deserved that turkey trophy he was awarded. :D

Wishing you easier times and gentler holidays coming. Love ya. ((hugs))

SKYGIRL said...

WOW! Really sounds fun, and I like the crossed Halloween, with Thanksgiving theme, really creative.

I think "You Done Good" in spite of your recent loss. I think it does help to be with allot of friends, and family, if not just a few.

I started a new thread on the www.adcaregiver.com board. It is under Forum Index, then Death & Dying, and is titled "Firsts"

I have so many new friends, that this will be their first Holidays, etc. I wanted somewhere you can meet and be candid, about how it really went for You?

Perhaps you can help others too!

My only 'true' first, was when moving to Montana.(With direct family, not friends) I went to a new Church, on the first Christmas Eve, without my Mom. With all the Grand Parents, Mom's & Daughters, in their Sunday best, and beaming with pride, I couldn't even make it to my car, before I was bauling my head off! So much for staying strong!

We used to go to Church on Christmas Eve, and Easter together, every year, for quite some time, when my Dad decided he was an Atheist, for abut 40 Years!

I just missed her too much! It is getting easier!

Lori1955 said...

Wow, your family really goes all out don't they? I'm glad everything went well and I understand your tears.

I agree that Christmas will most likely be harder. Not only is it a more personal day but with the music and shoppers etc. it lasts so much longer. People already had lights up here the day after Thanksgiving. Somehow we'll all make it through. SIGH.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, this looks like such a nice gathering!

We used to have big dinners at our church. Dad was pastor and I usually ended up being the chef, the serving crew and the janitor!! But, oh, what wonderful memories!!

Glad you were able to enjoy family and friends!

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Looks like so much fun!

I had tears during our prayer but otherwise I held it together pretty well.

I'm hapy you were able to get together with so many loved ones. It makes things easier when you are around those who care.