Tuesday, November 6, 2007

i'm tired

the last week has been spent clearing and sorting out medical supplies and records, office supplies, furniture and anything else you can pretty well think of.

i mentioned a few weeks ago that in addition to adjusting to life without russ, bob's and mine business will be closing. we downsized once early this spring when the boys were home but i finally persuaded bob it was time to do it again. the rent we have been paying for the basement space below our office was much too expensive for just a storage area compared to renting a storage unit.

after 18 years in business, we have accumulated a lot of stuff! it doesn't help that both bob and i are pack rats. we also have to store all patient records as well as financial records for 7 years before they can be confidentially shredded. we have made numerous trips to the dump and the recycling center. i have also become quite proficient at posting things on craig's list and have been very pleased and somewhat surprised to learn that what is one's garbage can be another's treasure (and be willing to pay for it to take it off your hands!)

last thursday "2 men and a truck" arrived early in the morning to load up the big and heavy stuff and transport it to the storage unit. in about 3 hours they were finished and about 3 days later bob and i were finished clearing out the basement and transporting the rest of the smaller stuff over.

bob has kidded me that it has been good physical exercise to distract me from thinking about all that has happened. i have been mentioning to him that i needed a distraction, but i'm glad we're done with this. i'd like to think i can think of something more exciting to occupy my mind and time. now i just have to wonder where all the rest of the stuff will go when we close down for good. our 10x24' locker is pretty full....

here's hoping for some restful nights sleep. i just wonder where i put my ben gay?

7 comments:

Lori1955 said...

LOL Nancy, these are the times we realize that we are not as young as we used to be. I'll bet it felt good to stay busy though.You should sleep good tonight.

~Betsy said...

Two Men and A Truck is the group I hired to move the last of Mom and Dad's things from their house to the storage locker. Now that I think about what I kept, I wonder why.

I'm sorry the business is closing, Nancy. You and Bob sound too young for retirement.

Joanne said...

I can relate to the pack rat thing. Both my mom and dad kept everything and of course I 'inherited' that trait too. LOL

Sorry you're closing the business, Nancy. I hope you and Bob decide to take this time to take a nice long vacation. You both deserve it.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

It is time to rest now and regroup for both of you. I hope you can maybe travel a bit and get to know each other again. Many hugs

SKYGIRL said...

Nancy. It just dawned on me that your Business is Medical Bill-Pay, or something to that affect?

My best girlfriend's partner, in Real Estate Deals, is a Gazillionaire, and this is how they made their money? He lives in Maryland, but they have about five houses, and takes a private jet everywhere?

He bought the House they had for sale in Aspen 'just for Christmas time' It sold for 8.2 Million!

Anyway, if you get 'itchy' after you retire, or want to give it another go, I'll try to put you three in touch!

dave said...

I just shut my ceramic tile / cabinet business down. I decided my time was worth more than the money I make.
Miriam is taking up a bit more time, and I am old enough to not be any where as effecient as i once was.

Unknown said...

I am having another bout of tiredness just now. Maybe its physical this time.