Sunday, November 11, 2007

a nice weekend

besides the weather being fairly nice and warm, it was a pretty good weekend. on friday i met and spent the day with my best friend from college. she lives in the chicago area so we drove and met 1/2way. we did a little shopping but mostly sat in one of our cars and talked and took an exceptional long lunch so that we could talk as well. linda is a minister and helped marry bob and i. she has been such a strength to me over the years as we have shared our lives with one another. we have been there for each other through good times and bad. there is a third friend ann, but unfortunately she lives in dallas so we don't get to see her as often. both ann and linda did come up for russ' funeral which was so special.

we talked a lot about how i was doing since russ has died. linda's mom lived with her for about 5 years before she died 10 years ago of cancer so she was also a caregiver and knew first hand some of the feelings i have. she was especially glad that i have continued to blog and keep up with all my fellow bloggers on a daily basis. she also was able to give me some specific psalms to read that she felt would be helpful and comforting. but most importantly she gave me the reassurance that God is with me and will continue to help me get through my grief.

saturday bob and i went to madison to see mark. he has been struggling somewhat this year so it was nice to go and just hang out with him. matt came too so that made it extra nice, we watched wisconsin beat michigan in football on tv, went out to eat and then went and watched the wisconin hockey team play north dakota. unfortunately they lost but it was a fun game to watch.

today has just been a lazy day. the packers played and beat minnesota (sorry robyn), and continue to amaze everyone how well they are playing this season. brett favre is just so much fun to watch. congrats to betsy and joanne as the steelers won today too!

i also wanted to take this time to express my appreciation to all veterans, both past and present who have served our country to protect us and our freedoms. lori, terry and janine i mean you in addition to terry's dad, betsy's and chris's dad, and of course russ. for those of you i have forgotten, thank you as well!

8 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend!!!

I was excited when I read you went to Madison. It's been a tough start to the school year though and I am sorry for that.

My daughter works at a pub right on the capital square. We went past it when Dad and I visited her but we didn't go in (she wasn't working of course, we were just exploring). I hear the service is excellent!

Take care sweetie and have an awesome day!

dave said...

I am not a veteran, wrong age.
But, I want to echo your good words for them and thier families. The burden they carry can be huge and are so seldom really thanked.

Joanne said...

Congrats to you too, Nancy on the Packers win. Watching the Steelers beat the Browns on Sunday brought back the old phrase "That's Steelers football!"

Sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your friend. Hope you take more time like that for yourself. It sounded very refreshing and relaxing.

Lori1955 said...

I'm glad you had a nice weekend and that you got to spend that time with your friend. Now are you going to tell us which Psalms she told you to read?

Unknown said...

Thank you Nancy. I usually don't consider myself a real veteran since I never saw combat. But I surely do appreciate those who served and are serving.

So glad you got to spend time with your friend. That's so special to preserve a friendship so long.

Blessings and many good wishes your way.

rainbowheart said...

Great weekends are wonderful!!!! Even better when you get to meet with friends and just talk. I long to have some "adult" conversations. Some days Mama can have a conversation and some days it is like talking with a child. I too would like to thank the men and women for all they have given for out freedoms....have a great week.

~Betsy said...

It sounds like you took a well-deserved break this weekend, Nancy. Good for you!

I don't know what's up with those Packers, but they are certainly exciting to watch. I think I told you they are my second favorite team. The Steelers hold that number one spot, of course. :D

I also appreciate our vets. Nikki is engaged to an active duty Marine. He was deployed in Ramadi, Iraq last year. That was a terrible time in our lives, but we were blessed he returned without a scratch. He saw some major combat.

rilera said...

I'm more upset about WI beating Michigan in football :( than I am about the Vikes losing to the Pack. I guess, at least where football is concerned, I'll always be a Michigander. I'm glad you had a nice weekend. Remember to keep taking baby steps.