Monday, February 4, 2008

pure beauty




a friend of mine in book club is a master gardener. pat is also a very thoughtful and giving person. in november she gave me a white amaryllis plant in memory of russ that she hoped would bloom around Christmas. it actually bloomed in the beginning of december but lasted until almost the end of the month. it had 3 large flowers and was absolutely beautiful. about the time it died i noticed that another shoot had started growing. i mentioned it to pat and she said that it did not happen often but wasn't totally uncommon either. she told me how to care for it and that if this one bloomed, it could remind me of my mother.

well, this one fully bloomed a few days ago. this one has 4 large flowers, each one more beautiful than the next. the pictures above are of this blooming. like a fool i forgot to take pictures of the one blooming in december. it stands about 40" high and i had to put a stake in as it was starting to lean. the flowers are about 8" in diameter and absolutely gorgeous.

i like to look at symbolism in a lot of things in life. the first bloom had only 3 flowers, one for russ, my sister and me. this current one for my mom has 4 flowers, including her this time. i anticipate that it will be done blooming as we approach the 2 year anniversary of her death. what a wonderful plant to be able to look at every day and enjoy. i know both gene and russ would have enjoyed it as well.

p.s. as an update on the job front, the phone interview went well. i am to anticipate getting a call in 3-5 days to set up a face to face interview for the case management position. i also spoke with the gal about the oncology position. unfortunately they are still working on the job description BUT she is very interested in me so she will have HR set the ball in motion about the job i originally applied for and when the new one is finalized we can potentially look into that as well. so hopefully in the next week or so i should be able to make an informed decision about what is the best fit. i will keep you all updated.

10 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I really enjoyed the pictures of the flowers. I look at symbolism as well and think the flowers are a beautiful tribute.

Awesome news on the job! I so hope this works out for you and will be hoping for the best! Hugs to you and good luck!

~Betsy said...

Great photos of the flowers, Nancy. What a wonderful reminder that spring is just around the corner (sort of). I like the symbolism, too.

Good luck with the job stuff. Keep us posted.

Pier said...

Dearest Nancy,
I've been gone for months and stopped to catch up on you and Russ. I am so very sorry to read of your loss. Tonight you are in my prayers.

This "pure beauty" post was beautiful!
hugs to you,
Pier

dave said...

wow it is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy! Just stopped in to see how things are going with you. SO glad to hear that the job situation is looking up!

The flower IS beautiful!

Thank you for sharing with us!

SKYGIRL said...

Nanc! The Flowers are GORGEOUS, and I am sorry I fogot to include this one the hopeful, bulb, series! I think I need to pick you brain about care. My poor little Paper-Whites, are barely peeking over the top of the vase?

Great news on the job-front too. I like the idea of You being "Case Manager" especially after the horrible experience with my Mother's! We NEED You!

I am waiting on her twelve-page-report now, should be....interesting?

StefanieRose said...

I know how the job thing goes. I hope it works out. *huggles* Oh and the flowers are pretty! <3 u.

Joanne said...

Absolutely beautiful flowers, Nancy. Good luck with the job!

rilera said...

That is such a lovely, heartwarming story Nancy. I love the symbolism of the flowers. I truly believe a higher power had a hand in the way that it bloomed. I hope that you find comfort in it.

rainbowheart said...

These flowers are beautiful. I am happy to hear that you might have a job lined up. I would love to work from home. Thanks for heart warming tribute....