Wednesday, February 27, 2008

friends

today, or actually yesterday as i look at the time, i met and had lunch with 2 dear friends. one, k.d., i hadn't seen in probably 20-25 years and the other, s.s., was my best friend from high school. s.s. and i both attended illinois wesleyan university where we both graduated from their school of nursing. we moved to champaign-urbana to start our careers together and that is where we met k.d. who was also a new grad. both s.s. and k.d. remember the exact starting salary we started at, i don't, i think they said it was somewhere around 5.35/hour. that was considered very good money 30 years ago for someone fresh out of college. i was able to have a very nice apartment, have a car, pay for gas, car insurance, etc., have a social life and still put money into savings! i had contemplated going back to school 3 years later for my masters but decided against it as the money was too good and i didn't want to go back to being poor! go figure.

so many fond memories were created in the year and a half we worked together. the 3 of us worked the pm shift so we would go out afterwards for a drink or two, one of our favorite hangouts was "lums." not sure they are in business anymore. we became very close and even though i have not kept in contact with k.d. for probably close to 20 years and not as close of contact with s.s. as i would have liked or should have for that matter, we seemed to pick up and reminisce without problems.

we all are still married to the same men, a feat in itself by today's standard. we also all have children in college, although k.d wins the prize for having all 4 of her kids in college at once! WOW! we have also all lost a parent in the last year, but for different reasons. i also realized that there is always someone else who has burdens and reasons to grieve greater than mine. i will hold both of you in my thoughts and prayers as you both struggle with your family issues. we never know what is in store for us but do the best we can with the hand we are dealt. i admire both of your strength in what you are facing, especially you s.s.

it was a great way to spend a long overdue reunion of sorts. we promised each other to make the 60 mile trek for each of us to meet and not wait another 20+ years. i hope we can stay true to that promise. thank you both for being the highlight of my day.

12 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I'm so glad you got together with old friends. There is something refreshing about being with people who share your history.

~Betsy said...

How wonderful to get together with old friends! I'm happy for you, Nancy. I know you have been rather down lately, so I hope your get- together helped to perk you up!

mooch said...

Nance -

A wonderful, memorable day to be sure. Thanks for your constant friendship and support.

StefanieRose said...

Thats great, I know its good to see friends. Specially ones you don't get to see often. *hugs* sending my love to you.

PS I am excited about Thrusday night, I hope your still coming!

Unknown said...

It is really significant I think about shared lives. Those times and those friends (and even ones who weren't friends) all become more precious later on it seems to me.

arutherford said...

Nancy,
I'm so glad you reconnected with your special friends who contributed to who you are today.

Lori and I spent all day working on my parent's basement today (and we made a dent but have a long way to go!) and we were joined by a dear friend who grew up across the street from my parent's home. Sharing stories about our antics in that home made the work a lot less drudgery!

We've been friends for 50 years and sometimes go many months without talking but can pick right back up when we do get together. And, we know we are always in the wings should we need each other.

Precious friends are God's earthly angels in our lives.
Love, Ann
P.S. 7 wks. + 1 day 'til our rendevouz in IL.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Good friends like that are ones to hang on to, as you are. What a beautiful day to just reconnect.

Hugs Nancy, I'm thinking of you, my friend.

dave said...

Those old friends are so precious, but they go away and some I never see again, and when it happens, I feel great loss.
So glad you could see your friends again.

rilera said...

What a precious friendship. I'm glad you were able to have a reunion with your friends.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I'm smiling over here, thinking how great it would be to reconnect with friends from "way back"! Sounds like you had fun, and I am happy for you!

Today is March 1st. Rabbit, Rabbit! :)

SKYGIRL said...

Hi Nancy! BSG waving {{{wildly}}} from Austin, Texas!

Joanne said...

What a beautiful post about long-time friends. Thanks for sharing.