Saturday, July 21, 2007

thank goodness for the fire department!





right before noon today everyone was gone except for russ and me. i was attempting to get him out of his recliner and into the transport chair for lunch and i was aware that it wasn't going to happen. he went sliding down to the floor. after numerous attempts to get him up i realized it wan't going to happen without one of "my big strong guys." russ said he was comfortable on the floor (bless his heart), but i knew it could be several hours before anyone returned home.

i called the non-emergency fire department number and within 10 minutes they had russ up and in his chair ready for lunch. he thanked them for helping (without prompting i might add) but after they left he kept making this whirling noise with his mouth and moving his hands back and forth. after a while i finally figured out he was trying to tell me how fast he had thought they had been able to get him up. when i asked him if that was what he was trying to tell me he got big eyes, shook his head yes and said WOW.

wow is right, it was pretty amazing.

6 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I'm surprised they got there so fast for a non emergency. My fire department is right across the street. I wonder how long it would take them?
I am glad that Russ slid gently to the floor and didn't hurt himself.

nancy said...

i was too since we live in a somewhat rural area and on nights and the weekends they are all volunteers. they were 2 young guys but great with russ

~Betsy said...

Hooray for volunteer firefighters! My dad was one for 32 years - a noble cause for sure. Im glad to see neither you nor Russ were hurt. Never a dull moment, huh?

rilera said...

As an Alzheimer's child too, I find your messages so poignant. My mom also feel and we too had to call for help. My mom still remembers that even after nearly a month. Isn't it interesting how these memories continue while others fade away?

Robyn

nancy said...

robyn,
yes, the AD mind works in a strange way. thanks for taking the time to read my site. i will take a look at yours as well.

rilera said...

I love the photo of you with Russ. I can tell you have a special relationship.