Sunday, March 30, 2008

grief, mourning & healing



this afternoon i went to a seminar entitled grief, mourning & healing. i had heard about it through an e-mailing network i still receive from our business. it was given by patrick dean, a man who has done grief counseling for over 20 years and is the head of the milwaukee grief education center. it was excellent. maybe it wasn't necessarily new material but the way it was presented, and maybe also the stage i am in my grief, i was more ready to hear it and it certainly made an impact on me.

i am going to summarize of few of his key points not only to share with my fellow bloggers who are in the grieving process but also to record it for me, so i can have something to look back on.

grief is an internal experience where as mourning is how we exhibit our grief externally. grief is the bridge between who we were (before the death) and who we are becoming (following the death). mourning is the path to healing, how we move towards the healing.

grief is normal, natural and necessary. it is also universal yet totally unique.

through mourning, and the path towards healing, we are learning new ways to live with our necessary sadness. we are forever changed by the lives of those we loved. we need time to redefine who we are. i know as caregivers we can all acknowledge and agree with that.

the mere passage of time does not heal - it's what we do with that time. don't believe the saying, times heals all wounds, it doesn't, yet time softens and changes how we look at the loss. there is also no time limit to grief and loss. some losses are forever.

patrick was able to meet and visit with dr. elizabeth kubler-ross near the end of her life. she was the forerunner and pioneer to describing the phases one goes through with death and dying. patrick asked her if there was one thing he could pass on to bereavers as he gave workshops from her, what would she like it to be? he said she thought for a good 3-5 minutes and then answered. tell them "do the best you can and leave the rest of it up to whomever you deem your god to be." a very wise statement!

we need to work on finding our "new normal" in life. for death changes us forever so we should not look for a recovery but rather a reconciliation - learning to live with our loses. when we experience that momentary "spark" of life, we should try to build on it, nurture it into our "new normal."

though grief is hard, hopefully over time (and that will vary for each individual) thoughts become soft again, and a gentleness awaits us.
will i open my heart to an eternal love? a love no longer of this earth?
eventually, the stormy days and ways of grief will soften into something sad...AND beautiful.

"no one ever told me that grief felt so much like fear."
C.S. Lewis : A Grief Observed


this tuesday night patrick dean will be giving another talk on delayed grief. i am hopeful to attend that. i know i am experiencing that with my mom. i look forward to gaining insight into that as well.

14 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Sounds like an excellent seminar Nancy. I especially like the C.S.Lewis quote. How very true. I'm glad you are getting good things out of this.

~Betsy said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. Reading your words make my feelings clearer. I really agree with all of it.

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

I am sorry for your loss, both your Mom and Dad. This is a wonderful post, and so true, grief has its own way and means in our lives, and though there are many similarities in grief, it is our own unique experience. May you be well. elaine

rilera said...

Thank you for this post nancy. It was excellent and so very true. I'm glad that you are attending these seminars. May you find peace.

SKYGIRL said...

What a great post, and I am so glad you are reaching out!

He was at Ms. Kubler-Ross's Bed side? What a honor, I didn't even know she had passed.

Bereavement was part of what my "Attitudinal Healing" group was about. In fact, I witnessed the largest, and most obvious healing, with a woman that had lost her Brother, & her Son, in the same week. She blossomed, slowly but surely, like a Spring Bulb.

I am sure personal experience is more important when helping others, and am certain this is why you will be so good at this Nancy!

rainbowheart said...

Thank you so much for sharing this.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Here's hoping all our grief begins to soften very soon. Thank you for sharing these thoughts with us.

Joanne said...

Thank you for sharing this, Nancy. I found very much of this true about my grief in my dad's death. I'll be bookmarking your post because I'm sure it will come as some comfort in the future as well. Hugs and love to you, my friend.

StefanieRose said...

thank you for posting about this. I am glad you got to go, and we "got to go" though you. I like that quote a lot. *hugs* to you my friend.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Nancy. I hope things are going well for you.

rilera said...

Hi Nancy, just checking in with you. Hope all is well. How's the new job?

{{hugs}}

~Betsy said...

How goes it Nancy? Just checking in, sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, Nancy. It really made me think.

How is your new job going? I hope you are doing well!

Pier said...

Thanks for the post Nancy. It sounds like it was a very worth while seminar.