Monday, March 10, 2008

a cold but relaxing weekend


































last friday bob and i went up to door county for a long weekend get-a-way. we just got home a few hours ago. i figured a week from today i will be starting work so i wanted one last mini vacation. the winters in door county are so different than the summers yet just as beautiful. in the summer, especially july and august, the peninsula is filled with many tourists. you see the exact opposite in the winter. we read an editorial in the paper while we were up there about the winters. they stated there is no need to use your directionals while driving. a)no body is on the road and b)if you do come upon another car, they would recognize your car and know when you would be turning. that may be a slight stretch of the truth but not by much. as much as i love the beauty of the summer, i also love the peace and quiet of the winter.

we usually keep the house set at 50 degrees when we are not up there so when we arrived, i quickly pumped the thermostat up to 68 to warm up the place. by 9pm, it was only 53; not a good sign, but considering it was only in the teens outside, we (or should i say bob) was still hopeful. by 7am it was only up to 55, definitely not good. we quickly made a fire in the fireplace and placed a call to rick, the guy that does all the electrical/plumbing work for us. rick did not answer but we left a message stating the problem but also saying that we could manage over the weekend. well about 12 noon, rick showed up. it was not good. there was a cracked heat exchange in 2 of the 5 parts so the furnace was only functioning at between 55-60%. we can limp through the rest of the winter but we will need a new furnace. they no longer make that model so therefore they no longer make the replacement parts. just what i needed to hear!!! seems to me that with some of my blogger friends having problems with heating this winter it must be the winter for furnaces.

between the sun, fire and partial furnace we were able to get the temp up to 65 by the time we left today. i thought a lot of lori and unk, they would not have been happy campers but we were dressed warmly so we did fine. we took a couple of beach walks. with all the snow and ice on the beach i really had to look closer at the shoreline as it did not look familiar. it was like we were in a different place.

on another note, while up there i dreamed of my mom. this is the first dream i can remember in such a long time. it was a good one as well. already the memory of it is fading but i clearly remember her driving up (or somehow coming up) next to bob and i and calling our names. i think we were in a car as well. bob was in the front and i in the back. she was smiling and seemed happy, asking bob first and then me how we were doing, and if we were happy. even though it was somewhat hard as i then missed her, it was comforting to think that she appeared happy and wants that for me too.

we are actually suppose to have the next few days reach the 40's. we somehow managed to miss the last major snow storm that passed through so maybe we will start to melt some of this snow. i can only hope!

11 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Oh the joys of home ownership. You are right, I would not have been a happy camper. Heck I got into LAX last night and put on the air conditioner in the car to drive home. LOL.

Joanne said...

What a beauftiful post and pictures. That beach looks awesome with the snow on it. For some reason I can't wrap my brain around snow on a beach. LOL

Sorry to hear about your furnace. That's a bummer. I'm really glad you had a fireplace to help warm up the place.

Sounded like a nice weekend despite the cold.

~Betsy said...

I love the sight of snow on a beach. It seems so out of place and almost as if we are peeking in on mother nature doing something she knows she shouldn't do! Great pictures, Nancy!

Sorry to hear about the furnace. I feel your pain.

rilera said...

Beautiful picts! Reminds me of the northshore of Lake Superior. I'm glad you were able to get away before you start work. Loved the story about your dream. I think Mom is telling you it's OK to move on and to be happy.

Hugs

Annie said...

What a wonderful dream.

Unknown said...

A crack in the heat exchanger can be very dangerous. I am glad you had someone out.

You needed my heater!!

I ran my A/C in the car today. We have 2 more days of 70 highs and then we go back to 50's.

Gorgeous pictures and wonderful post.

StefanieRose said...

I am glad you had a nice time, and glad you got to go away! The photos are pretty! I hope you two kept each other warm, because darn it looks cold there! lol Anyways i know that any dream about your mom must be a comfort at times, i know even my bad dreams sometimes are comforting just to "see" her face again.

SKYGIRL said...

Hi Nanc! Nice post. I know a few people that do some pretty clever things to 'Winterize' their homes, while they are gone, like pump all the water out of the pipes, so they dont freeze, etc. But if you make it up there occassioally, during the Winter,(and I can see why you do!) that would not work for you.

I had to have my oil changed, and sure enough, they found another problem. Thankfully it was a fresh wound, and if not caught this early, could have ruined my CV joint, and even my front axel, so I guess I'd rather know sooner, than later!

I like those kind of dreams. I think that people actually visit us, from the other side, in our dreams, and that sounded like a nice one.

I can't wait to hear about your new job! They had better be nice to you, or else! LOL!

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I am so happy you got a mini vacay before you start work!

I love Betsy's analogy of Mother nature doing something she shouldn't have. Got a chuckle out of that one. Frankly, I think Mother Nature has been a very naughty lady this year.

StefanieRose said...

I hope everything is ok. I thought you were going to be in the chat tonight. I missed you. Maybe next week. *hugs*

rainbowheart said...

Snow on the beach? I can honestly say that I have never seen that. But the pictures are wonderful. I'm happy to hear that you have a fireplace with the furnace not working. I would love to have a mini-vacation too but too much is going in the family. Momma is home from the hospital but the BIL has a mass on his lungs and is having surgery Monday. So, I will be there Tuesday. Meetings Monday and then hopeful I will have a few jobs interviews next week. Take care and have a good weekend....