Wednesday, August 20, 2008

the olympics


i have been glued to the tv ever since the olympics started. it was always a big deal growing up to sit in front of the tv and watch the olympics. i am ever amazed how much more the media is able to cover and telecast compared to years past. i remember fondly watching mark spitz win his 7 gold metals in 1972. i myself use to swim competitively so he was a real idol of mine. to see michael phelps break those records was a little bittersweet. yet truly an awesome accomplishment, my hat goes off to him.

i also remember when rhythmic gymnastics first became part of the olympics. i don't remember the year but i do remember my families reaction. we actually thought it was a little silly. i still have vivid memories of russ, sue and i attempting to imitate some of their routines with the flags or ball and remember gene standing watching us; first giggling at our attempts and then judging us. i'm going to have to see if i can find some of those pictures. such good memories.

our week in door county was good, just too short. the weather and water was wonderful. SO relaxing and peaceful. it was wonderful to spend time with bob, matt and mark, just the 4 of us. you never know when things will change so i cherish every moment we spend as our little family.

at times it was still hard, realizing that both my parents are now gone, that russ wasn't back in respite waiting for me. it was also somewhat hurtful at times in people's reaction or should i say lack of reaction to seeing me for the first time since russ died but i got through it. people react and grieve differently and life goes on.

11 months

5 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

The Olympics have been fantastic to watch. I have really enjoyed it this year and watching Phelps swim has certainly been a treat. I'm not usually a sports fanatic but the Olympics have always caught my attention.

I think this year it has been a sweet distraction to all that is going on in this world. It's given us hope and something to look forward to in troubled times with the rising economy, war, the elections, and so forth. Very refreshing:)

Vacations are always so darn short but I am glad you had a nice time. I also understand the bittersweet feelings that come with such a vacation and that had to be difficult. I remember after Dad passed away, I saw some of Dad's friends and they didn't say a peep about his passing. Like you, I chalked that up to how each person grieves. I decided it was better to offer condolences than to say nothing at all. I have learned so much from all this...things I never thought about before.

11 months...(((hugs))) until I see you Saturday and can give you hugs for real.

rainbowheart said...

It is so good to hear that you had a wonderful vacation with your husband and boys. There is nothing like a vacation with family.
You are right...the Olympics have been so good to watch this year. Michael Phelps has done an out-standing job.
Take care and have fun with Chris and Lori.

~Betsy said...

Oh what I wouldn't give for a family vacation like you had! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it!

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Hey sweetie, just dropping by to let you know how great it was to see you again. Thanks for the late night talk last night:)

Miss you. You are a wonderful friend and I am so glad we got to see each other again. Take care hun:)

Lori1955 said...

I'm not usually one to watch the Olympics but I did this year. Heck I didn't even know that the trampoline was a sport. :)
You also never told us that you were a competitive swimmer.

It was so good to see you this weekend sweetie. I know it is hard to accept others reaction. It is as though our world has come crashing down and we wonder how the rest of the world can go on as though our loss was only a blip in their lives.

We are in countdown mode now. I will be thinking of you and holding you close to my heart just as I did a year ago.