Wednesday, May 7, 2008

labor of love




this past weekend bob and i went up to door county to tend to some spring cleanup outside. with russ' deterioration, the past few years have slipped by without the yard work getting done, except what really needed it. understandably, it seemed only the bare necessities were done. last summer the bushes in front of gene & russ bedroom had pretty much died (maybe a foreshadowing???). we were hoping they would come back to life last summer but never seemed to. this past saturday morning was spent digging out the bushes. (above picture, if you look closely that is lake michigan in the top part of the picture - it is a gorgeous view from the bedroom window) i think we will probably just plant some grass seed and see how it looks, we can always do something different later. we spent some of saturday and most of sunday raking up dead leaves from under trees (that had collected a couple of years worth) as well as raking and carrying more brush and debris deep in the woods. we were both pretty tired and a little sore but i must say it made me feel good and i felt a great sense of accomplishment afterwards. SO much so i decided we will go back up this weekend and try to complete what we didn't have time to finish. both boys will be studying for finals this weekend and mark actually has a final on sunday so they will not be home. also, i figure i can feel close to gene knowing it is her gift from me this year and we will also stop and see bob's mom on our way home on sunday. i hope everyone has a nice mother's day weekend this year. i know it will be tough for many but know i'll be thinking of you all.

7 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Wow sounds like you got alot accomplished. Good for you. I think spending Mother's day there is a nice idea. Of course I would rather be sitting watching someone else do the yard work. :)

SKYGIRL said...

I am imagining, do you have one of those old Claw-Foot-Tubs there? I would take a bubble-bath, fill it with rose pedals, and light some candles, and have a beverage of your choice!

Cheers to your Mom, for raising such a 'Great' Daughter, and cheers to you, cuz "You Done Good!"

N.Mc. ;-)

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I had to laugh, my folks have a claw foot tub in their bathroom that I swore I was going to bathe in one last time before I sell the house.

It certainly looks beautiful there just from the picture. I have always loved Door County and hope to go again soon. Haven't been there in ages.

I like to work out in the yard too and know how accomplished it can make you feel after a hard days work. Everything looks so nice, stripped of the leaves, making room for all the spring goodies to pop up. I have a bit more to do here and then I should have a pretty good handle of it.

It sounds like a busy but nice Mother's day weekend you have planned. Have a beautiful one and I will be thinking of you! Love ya sweetie.

rilera said...

Your place in Door County sounds like heaven. I envy you having Lake Michigan that close.

StefanieRose said...

Happy Mothers day Nancy! <33333 Thank you for being such a good mom to your boys. I can feel the motherly love you give them from here. Have a good day please. <333

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Happy Mom's day Nancy. Thinking about you today and hoping you are having a good day. Hugs sweetie.

~Betsy said...

I'm sure it was bittersweet to get all this work done. Kudos to you for accomplishing it!

I hope you had a nice Mother's Day. (((hugs)))