Wednesday, December 12, 2007

trying hard

(photo taken off internet, not really our cookies)


the last week or so has been difficult for me in wondering what i should post about mainly because i don't' really know what i'm feeling. i can really relate to how chris needed some time off.

i have been going through the motions and trying to get myself into the Christmas spirit, mainly because i know my mom would want me to, especially for my boys. i have started decorating around the house and have some Christmas cards to send out. some presents have been bought, for bob's young niece's and nephews, but nothing for my immediate family. of course it would help if my boys gave me some ideas...

yesterday i went over to my sister's house to bake some Christmas cookies with her and my niece. they had invitited me last year but i couldn't with russ. this year i wasn't sure i was really into it but decided to go as i didn't have a good excuse not to.

the first hour or so i felt like i was just going through the motions and being pleasant because that is what i was brought up to be. i have to admit though that as the day wore on, it was fun. my niece can be a space cadet at times (even though she is very intelligent, i think at times they go hand in hand) so i know she helped to lighten up the day.

we ended up making 7 different types over about 9 hours. the last we made, the cut outs with frosting, had to be the most fun. maybe we were overly tired, or because neither kristen or i felt we were as creative as my sister who is a pre-school teacher and has frosted many a sugar cookie, but i have to admit i ended up having fun.

i guess it showed me that at times i have to force myself to do things. yes i could have just as easily sat home and did nothing and i would have enjoyed that as well but i didn't. i think my mom would have been proud of me for going over and spending time with my sister and niece.

9 comments:

rilera said...

Good for you Nancy! I'm glad you got out and had some fun, you deserve it.

Lori1955 said...

I'm so glad you had such a fun day. Now when can I expect my cookies in the mail? :) Guess maybe I should try joining the human race once in awhile.

Anonymous said...

Smiling as I read your post today, Nancy! I'm glad you took the time (all 9 hours of it!!) to bake with your family - I too as certain that your Mom would be proud!

Joanne said...

I'm sure your mom would be proud of you, Nancy. Glad you took the time and had fun in doing it.

~Betsy said...

You're way ahead of me, Nanc. You done good!

Jamielee said...

I'm glad you went and ended up having fun. Sometimes we have to fake it until we make it, as they say. Love and hugs.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I'm glad you did some baking too. Just the small things to get us started helps, I think.

Maybe the boys aren't giving ideas because they feel kinda awkward and sensitive to your feelings about it this year? I know my daughter even questioned what we were going to do and I said carry on as normal as possible because that is what Grandma and Grandpa would want.

I still need to get my tree up and do shopping. I have been working so much over at my folks house I haven't found the time.

StefanieRose said...

I know your mom would be very proud of you. Nonna would want me in the Christmas spirit as well. Its hard though, I really wish we did not have to have one this year. I just don't feel like being happy yet. I am glad you posted Nancy. I miss your posts. Don't go away.

rainbowheart said...

YAY Nancy! Baking cookies with your sister and your niece. I miss the days of baking with my nieces. (they are adults now and they think that it is not cool to bake with the aunt.) I too have been baking this week. I lost an aunt that I love and miss so much. That is what our passion is-baking. She has been gone 2 years today. I have not even put up a Christmas tree. I'm just not motived this year and why I have no idea. I have to get it done.