Wednesday, July 2, 2008

i'm back.....

it's hard to believe that i have been away from my blog for so long. it's not that i haven't checked in with some or most of my friends blogs from time to time because i have. but for me, i guess i was just at a time when i needed a break. a lot was going on in my life and something had to give and i guess it was my blog. plus, for awhile i didn't even have the energy to think about what to blog about.

i have been at my job for about 3 months now and i am starting to feel more comfortable in what i do. the nurse that sits next to me, my cubicle buddy, has only been there about 3 weeks and i'm surprising myself that i have been able to answer the majority of the questions she asks me.

so how do i like the job? well, as with most jobs there are good things and bad. the people i work with for the most part are very nice. i especially like when i interact with the patients. there is a really difficult case with a young mom pregnant with her second and in the hospital more than not with hyperemesis (constant vomiting from being pregnant). twice i have been asked to sit down with the staff nurses and MD to brainstorm how we can help her and keep her out of the hospital. that part i really enjoy, not that she is sick, but trying to figure out ways to make things easier. it makes me realize that that is what caregivers, especially to a LO with AD, do on a daily basis; try to figure out how to make the best out a difficult situation that you know won't get better.

one of my most difficult adjustments to work has been changing from owning your own business and making the decisions to working for a big company and having to keep my mouth shut when i see how they mismanage things on a day to day basis. it's then that i'm glad i'm out the door every mid to late morning to go to the hospitals to see all the sick people.

i've also been going to a grief support group through the hospice russ used. it has been good. some weeks i walk away thinking i'm doing pretty good and other weeks i drive home with tears streaming down my face the entire drive home and then just collaspe in bed. all in all, i know it's something i have to work through and can't deny that i have gone through a huge amount of life changes in the past 2+ years.

i hope to catch up with all your blogs in the next week. thanks (i hope) for understanding my need to pull back for awhile. please know that even though i was absent for a time you all continued to be in my thoughts and prayers. you are a very special group.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to know you are okay.

Lori1955 said...

Well first of all I am glad you are posting and doing ok. Sounds like the job is pretty good. Guess we can't have perfect can we? SIGH!

I understand your need to pull back a bit. Lately I have been wondering if I should keep my blog going or not too.

I'm glad to hear you are going to a support group. It really does help to be able to get things out. I know it can be painful too. SIGH. Hugs to you sweetie.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

OK, you are back again...I can quit worrying:)

Seriously, I have stepped back to a time or two or three...sometimes it is necessary to do so to return to your life and begin to live again.

Sounds like this job is a good one for you and one you can really sink your teeth into.

Glad you found a support group to lean on and move through some of this grief. You have had so much loss and it's great you have found a place to be able to talk freely. Take care hun...it is so good to hear from you on here:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting, Nancy! I too am glad to hear that you are okay!

~Betsy said...

Glad to hear things are going OK, Nanc. I was also worried, but something told me you just needed time to adjust. I slide into that from time to time, too.

(((hugs)))

rainbowheart said...

Hey Nancy,
It is so good to see a post. Glad to hear that the job is going good. Take care and hope to hear from you soon....

SKYGIRL said...

Hi Nanc! Good to hear from you too! I think of the hospice support group, as doing a fast-forward, instead of long, and drawn out, of grieving, but with support.

I can't imagine punching a clock, after owning my own business, but you are lucky to have the 'grace' and the right kind of personality, that they will never know your displeasure!

I must be a good actress too, because I got a "Welcome Home" post cars, and a "Thank You for being such a 'nice' young lady!" from Mom's husband, Tom! After staying with them for 16 days! UGGG!!!

Don't be a stranger, and know you are Loved!